Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Default question about ogg/ogv

Hi everyone,

where can i found informations about the rules to create free video using

- video : theora

- audio : vorbis

- container : ogg or ogv

as i look there, the official website doesn't indicate ogv container ???

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Is there something official for ogv, because none of all the video
editing software under GNU/Linux is creating ogv container, only ogg.

Thank's for your answers,

Laurent

Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
"Cory K."

laurent.bellegarde wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> where can i found informations about the rules to create free video using
>
> - video : theora
>
> - audio : vorbis
>
> - container : ogg or ogv
>
> as i look there, the official website doesn't indicate ogv container ???
>
> http://www.xiph.org/ogg/
>
> Is there something official for ogv, because none of all the video
> editing software under GNU/Linux is creating ogv container, only ogg.
>
> Thank's for your answers,
>
> Laurent

Haha! Subject near and dear to my heart. .ogv is an ogg container.
It's just a MIME difference AFAIK.

Here's info: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions

So you should be able to just name it .ogv and be fine. This is also
what I was told for audio ad well on the #vorbis channel.

-Cory

Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:53:38 +0200
"laurent.bellegarde" <laurent.bellegarde@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> where can i found informations about the rules to create free video
> using
>
> - video : theora
>
> - audio : vorbis
>
> - container : ogg or ogv
>
> as i look there, the official website doesn't indicate ogv
> container ???
>
> http://www.xiph.org/ogg/
>
> Is there something official for ogv, because none of all the video
> editing software under GNU/Linux is creating ogv container, only ogg.
>
> Thank's for your answers,
>
> Laurent

Hi Laurent,
there has recently been a discussion about .oga
As far as I understand it, it's just the extension, the container is
all the same. It is also not clear if it is a good idea to use .oga,
I don't know if there is an app that produces it, it only causes
problems so far.
I guess it's the same with .ogv

Regards
Philipp

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM

and so on......

and so take about yooour=self waht does what is it was ? and what is about
contenaire ?