Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default Hardy clean install works better

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 Rafael F. Compte wrote:

I could tell you about what I would do. I usually do a clean install

to avoid issues. So I install on top of the version I'm trying to

replace, "but" I keep my home partition intact. I just mount it as

home but I don't format it. I choose a different username and let it

install...
Hi Rafael,

I really like to keep my user name consistent. What I've decided to do for now, is just dual-boot a fresh install (64-bit) with my current install.* That lets me have a functioning system while I figure out what to do.

The install works well, except that I can't access files on my external audio drive, even though the permissions are wide open:

pad@Studio909:~$ ls -l /media
total 12<snip>

drwxrwxrwx* 1 root root** 19 2008-06-22 22:46 PPA1.2

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 2008-07-09 09:22 UbuntuStudio

PPA1.2 is the external drive; UbuntuStudio is the old semi-broken installation.* I can mount it and access files, like the permissions indicate.* But on PPA1.2, I get messeges saying I don't have the needed permissions, even though it's rwx all the way across.

I will mess with that later.

On the new install, JACK lists my interface in both the Audio and ALSA tabs, so I could probably control synths and write MIDI, I haven't had time to fool around with that.* The terminal works normally, and I can play both Ardour and Rosgarden through my external sound device.* So, except for the drive, everything seems to be working.

--Paul

*