Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Larry Lines

Default Composition thread

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 19:00 -0500, Cory K. wrote:
> Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> > This was the first track I finished using Ubuntu Studio:
> >
> > http://www.jonathanleonard.com/songs/2007/mp3/reapers_wish.mp3
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > jonathan adams leonard
>
> This comment is in now way a reflection on the quality of you work.
>
> Once, just once, I want to hear someone record a band using Ardour and
> open-source tools.
>
> To me, all the synth stuff is just too easy as its all digital.
>
> If someone doesn't beat me to it, I for sure will be putting together a
> system for recording _just_ live instruments.
>
> -Cory m/

Here are three pieces recorded with live instruments and bands:

http://www.nquit.com/Sounds/AaronTrumm/01Albums/Bleed/06AaronTrummWar.mp3
http://www.nquit.com/Sounds/AaronTrumm/02Singles/ApollosLastStandSingle/AaronTrummApollosLastStand.mp3
http://www.nquit.com/Sounds/AaronTrumm/03UnreleasedTracks/AaronTrummVoodooDaddyWithFullBandUnreleased.mp3

I was looking for stuff that I had done, but the technologies were so
mixed on my live recordings, I couldn't be sure. These are definitely
not new tools. We have been using Ardour to record live instruments and
ensembles for at least three years. The guy featured in these mp3's,
Aaron Trumm, has 6 commercial releases with all open source tools.

Someone told me about a couple of big name releases that were done in
Ardour, but I couldn't find confirmation. The fact is that the
production team I work with has produced more music with open source
tools in the last 4 years than we did individually and together for the
previous 15 years.

Larry Lines

Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> Once, just once, I want to hear someone record a band using Ardour and
> open-source tools.

Look up Marcos Guglielmetti, founder of Musix. (Of course he didn't use
Ubuntu Studio to record his band. )

> To me, all the synth stuff is just too easy as its all digital.

What, just too easy to record? My one man band has recorded a variety of
non-synth stuff with mixed results. Results seem to have a lot more to do
with equipment and recording space than any software concerns, and vary
wildly by instrument.

It's really hard for a home amateur putz to get decent results.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Wonder what's wrong with this thread. It was in my gmail 'spam' box. :-)

Are your trying to sell your music??? LOL!!

OT, but what do you guys recommend for a synth? Software (qsynth, etc) or hardware?

christopherstamper@gmail.com
http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 07 December 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:
> OT, but what do you guys recommend for a synth? Software (qsynth, etc) or
> hardware?

Depends on what you're going to do with it, and how much money you have. For
an all around General MIDI sound provider, I still love my old Roland Sound
Canvas, and think it wins for being consistently decent across the board,
even though none of its sounds are that great. I've got soundfonts with a
better piano, a better oboe, whatever, but the Roland is still my workhorse
after 12 years.

However, hardware is the expensive way to go, and these days you have to do
most of your shopping on eBay, because they've discontinued so much of this
kind of technology in favor of the next generation, which revolves around
samplers.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Well, I'm basically limited to software, a I've got no money.

So is qSynth good? Or should I use something else, like freebirthwhatever?

And yeah, I'm getting sound fonts too. Hard to find any that I like. :-(

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 08 December 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> Well, I'm basically limited to software, a I've got no money.

You're in good company there, I'm sure.

> So is qSynth good? Or should I use something else, like freebirthwhatever?

QSynth sounds as good as the soundfont you load into it, and it works well.

I hadn't heard of Freebirth, actually. I tried it, and it seems to be an OSS
app that doesn't speak JACK, and I can't seem to figure out what's blocking
it from /dev/dsp.

Well anyway, it says it's a bass synthesizer, so I guess you might want to use
that to synthesize basses! There's nothing wrong with variety, and we have a
nice variety of soft synths to do different jobs.

Hydrogen excels at drums, Aeolus is an exquisite pipe organ synth, and
ZynAddSubFX is an equally exquisite multitimbral synth with hundreds of
twiddly controls and endless possibilities (and a bank of very nice presets
for the twiddling impaired), then there are a number of DSSI synth plugins
such as Hexter, XSynth, and Whysynth (requires a DSSI-capable app like
Rosegarden or a freestanding plugin host,) and let's not forget ALSA Modular
Synth which is twiddly in a completely new and different way.

If I'm omitting anything, no slight is intended. These are just the things
I've run across in my own wanderings, and I've used all of them at one time
or another with good success, depending on the kind of sound I was after.
These days, I tend to favor synths that are trying to be synths, instead of
synths that are trying to be a fake orchestra. My current trend is to write
parts for my real instruments and record them, filling out as much of the
balance as possible with choices that wouldn't offend anybody who played the
real thing. (Except drums. I concede that point, and just use fake drums.
Sorry drummers.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre