-   -   many problems after upgrade to Hardy (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/122873-many-problems-after-upgrade-hardy.html)

Gustin Johnson 07-11-2008 06:53 AM

Paul DeShaw wrote:
| Greetings,
|
| After a more-or-less successful new installation of Ubuntu Studio 8.04
| on my Apple laptop, I decided to upgrade my desktop from Gutsy to
| Hardy. I had been afraid to try, but the MacBook install was so pretty,
| I decided to take the plunge.
|
| Lots of things are weird now. The 8.04 kernel was not installed, still
| running 7.10.
| There is no wallpaper. The theme now has black letters against a dark
| brown background in dialog boxes in audio apps, almost impossible to
| read. The terminal is weird; the characters are rainbow colors, and they
| don't appear until after "enter" is pressed; there is a dark ghost
| window to the right of the terminal window.
|
| I tried running upgrade again with Upgrade Manager; it says the system
| is up to date. I checked the sources and they are Hardy repositories.
| (Some apps have indeed been upgraded, which indicates to me that it is
| using the current repositories.) I tried upgrading from the terminal; it
| installed and upgraded 0 packages. I tried burning a DVD and upgrading
| from it; it installed the latest restricted modules, and removed 84
| obsolete packages, but everything seems to work the same.
|
| The sound does work; I ran JACK and Ardour, then Rosegarden. Xruns
| galore, but I haven't played with the settings yet. But, sound comes
| out from my external sound device like it should.
|
| So all that needs fixing **that I know about** is the terminal app, the
| wallpaper, and install the new kernel. But who knows what else is
| messed up. Should I:
|
| Install the kernel, terminal, and wallpaper from Synaptic or apt-get?
|
| Install fresh? (I have my home folder backed up on an external drive)?
|
| Something else I haven't thought of?
|
| This is so frustrating. Ubuntu peaked with Dapper, as far as smooth
| upgrades are concerned. I upgraded my old iMac G3 from Dapper to
| Feisty, and it's even more messed up. Wish I'd learned my lesson and
| not upgraded my main desktop.

I have exactly the opposite experience. I have been upgrading (as
opposed to reinstalling) my laptop since dapper and it is still working
flawlessly. I have 3 machines at home that don't have problems with
upgrades either. The servers I manage at work are even easier since
there is almost never a GUI (we just did a bunch of dapper to hardy
upgrades that went fine in addition to some 7.10 to 8.04 upgrades). The
point is, the upgrade process should work fine, there is likely
something else going on).

I guess to start I would be interested in having a look at your
/etc/apt/sources.list

My personal preference is to use the CLI to do all my updates (far
faster than the GUI IMO, plus I am an old Debian user so I am used to
this procedure). Once the sources.list file is changed:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

usually sorts things out. A quick reboot and I am in business again.

Hth,

"Paul DeShaw" 07-12-2008 03:47 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

| This is so frustrating. *Ubuntu peaked with Dapper, as far as smooth

| upgrades are concerned. * I upgraded my old iMac G3 from Dapper to

| Feisty, and it's even more messed up. *Wish I'd learned my lesson and

| not upgraded my main desktop.

I have exactly the opposite experience. *I have been upgrading (as

opposed to reinstalling) my laptop since dapper and it is still working

flawlessly.*I'm glad for you, but I have talked to others who have had similar, and worse, experiences--merely seach this list's archives and you'll see what I mean.* Gutsy was especially traumatic.

I guess to start I would be interested in having a look at your

/etc/apt/sources.list.
OK, to save space I'll leave out everything that's commented out:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Studio 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080701)]/ hardy main multiverse restricted universe

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security multiverse

This looks good to me.* Yesterday, when I tried to sudo aptitude update, then sudo aptitude dist-upgrade, it didn't install or upgrade anything.* I'll try again now:

* gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks libpoppler-glib2
* libpoppler-qt2 libpoppler2 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
* linux-restricted-modules-common poppler-utils
8 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed

I'll save this draft and report back after I run the upgrade and reboot.

later....

Ok, now it won't boot at all.* It says it's going to check the drive, then it just hangs there.

"Ubuntu Studio has been mounted 22 times without being checked, check forced.
Checking drive Ubuntustudio (/dev/sda3): 0% (stage* 1/5, 1/737)

UbuntuStudio: 318790/12075008 files 95.2% noncontiguous), 6403122/24147703 blocks

[blinking cursor]"

It's been like that at least 10 minutes now, so I think that's all it's going to do.

I'll try booting in recovery mode and send another e-mail with the results.

FWIW I ran upgrade instead of dist-upgrade by mistake...but that shouldn't have hurt anything.

--Paul

"Paul DeShaw" 07-12-2008 05:13 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

Hello,

I wrote:

> Ok, now it won't boot at all...

> I'll try booting in recovery mode and send another e-mail with the results.

It's booting again.* I ran dist-upgrade:

No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So I'm back to where I was.* When I did the initial upgrade, it aborted right at the end and warned me I may have an unstable system.** What now?

"Jason Schaefer" 07-13-2008 05:55 PM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

From your description it sounds like user space stuff. Try to create a
new user, be sure to add the user to all the correct groups in
/etc/group (mimic the existing user). If everything is ok in the new
user environment you could move your files into the new users /home.
You could also replace any potentially broken configurations (i.e,
.gnome2 with good ones from the new user.

As for the kernel, you will need to install that manually using
synaptic or apt-get (just search for the latest kernel and install
it). Don't uninstall your old one, this way you can reboot into it if
the new one breaks.

Gustin Johnson 07-14-2008 06:05 PM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

| I have exactly the opposite experience. I have been upgrading (as
| opposed to reinstalling) my laptop since dapper and it is still
| working flawlessly.
|

| I'm glad for you, but I have talked to others who have had similar,
| and worse, experiences--merely seach this list's archives and you'll
| see what I mean. Gutsy was especially traumatic.

This is not "normal" in my experience. This includes all the people in
my LUG who upgraded.

| I guess to start I would be interested in having a look at your
| /etc/apt/sources.list.
|

| OK, to save space I'll leave out everything that's commented out:

I also usually comment out the cdrom line as well.
The rest of the file looked fine.

| This looks good to me. Yesterday, when I tried to sudo aptitude
| update, then sudo aptitude dist-upgrade, it didn't install or upgrade
| anything. I'll try again now:
|
| The following packages will be upgraded: gtk2-engines-murrine
| gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks libpoppler-glib2 libpoppler-qt2 libpoppler2
| linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
| linux-restricted-modules-common poppler-utils 8 packages upgraded, 0
| newly installed
|
| I'll save this draft and report back after I run the upgrade and
| reboot.
|
| later....
|
| Ok, now it won't boot at all. It says it's going to check the drive,
| then it just hangs there.
|
| "Ubuntu Studio has been mounted 22 times without being checked, check
| forced. Checking drive Ubuntustudio (/dev/sda3): 0% (stage 1/5,
| 1/737) UbuntuStudio: 318790/12075008 files 95.2% noncontiguous),
| 6403122/24147703 blocks
|
| [blinking cursor]"
|
| It's been like that at least 10 minutes now, so I think that's all
| it's going to do.

I would also check the health of the hard drive if I were you.
~From a rescue cd (or even better a dedictated recovery cd like
systemrescuecd) I would run fsck.ext3 -c -f /dev/sda1 (or whatever your
partition actually is).

| I'll try booting in recovery mode and send another e-mail with the
| results.
|
| FWIW I ran upgrade instead of dist-upgrade by mistake...but that
| shouldn't have hurt anything.

When you run uname -r what do you get?
Also run, sudo aptitude search linux-image |grep ^i
Finally what is actually in /boot? (ls -la /boot)

Hth,

Nick Steeves 07-15-2008 06:14 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

Can you still boot into your upgraded installation with your old kernel?
This bug also affected me, in the same way you describe. The fastest
way I could think of resolving it was just making a backup of the list
of my installed packages, backup up /var, /etc, etc. and then
reinstalling. In my case it is most definitely *not* a hardware
problem. I suspect that the bug is somewhere in the initrd system, or
perhaps in the ext3 filesystem parameters -- the defaults have changed,
I think...though what really kills me, is that this should NEVER happen
to an ext3 FS...in a pinch, one can even mount it as ext2 from Windows
of all OSs.

I forget how I made my backup, but booting something like TRK in
fileserver mode should make it easy for you nab your files if your
system remains unbootable. (yes, you can just install ssh-server from
the Ubuntu Live CD, mount your relevant partitions, and sftp into your
box that way, and as mentioned, systemrescuecd will also work)

You say that your whole LUG has this problem. If no one has the
hard-drive space to hold a backup of someone else's non-replaceable
files, perhaps everyone could pitch in a bit for an external hard drive?
This is worst-case scenario. I'm quite sure that you haven't lost any
data, since your symptoms sound identical to mine. At any rate, 'hope
someone can help you figure out the cause, so you don't have to resort
to a backup->bare metal recovery!

Best regards,
Nick

Nick Steeves 07-15-2008 06:16 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

Oops, I misread:

´╗┐On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 12:05 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:

> This is not "normal" in my experience. This includes all the people in
> my LUG who upgraded.

What you mean, is that you and your LUG have all had no problems
upgrading. Lucky! I run into issues every other release.

Cheers,
Nick

"Paul DeShaw" 07-15-2008 08:22 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

new user, be sure to add the user to all the correct groups in

/etc/group (mimic the existing user). If everything is ok in the new

user environment you could move your files into the new users /home.

You could also replace any potentially broken configurations (i.e,

.gnome2 with good ones from the new user.

As for the kernel, you will need to install that manually using

synaptic or apt-get (just search for the latest kernel and install

it). Don't uninstall your old one, this way you can reboot into it if

the new one breaks.
I'll try the new user, though I'm reluctant--I use the same user name on all my systems.

I had already checked the kernel in Synaptic before reading your post.* It said the latest one was installed; I tried reinstalling it, as well as linux-image-rt, and linux-rt, but still I have only old kernels on the GRUB menu; maybe I have to manually edit the GRUB menu list?* Aren't they supposed to get added when they're installed?

There are a couple of huge long threads on Ubuntu forums on all kinds of things that happened to people's systems when they upgraded to Hardy, which is why I waited so long, hoping bugs would get reported and fixed.* I'm glad this one is LTS; I'm going to skip the next release or two so I can have everything working for a while before an upgrade can mess it up again.

I hope it doesn't get to the point where you have to re-install every time like Windows.

--Paul

Gustin Johnson 07-15-2008 10:18 AM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy

| As for the kernel, you will need to install that manually using
| synaptic or apt-get (just search for the latest kernel and install
| it). Don't uninstall your old one, this way you can reboot into it if
| the new one breaks.
|

| I'll try the new user, though I'm reluctant--I use the same user name on
| all my systems.

Should not have to create a new user. If the new kernel is indeed
installed you may have to update grub. See below.

| I had already checked the kernel in Synaptic before reading your post.
| It said the latest one was installed; I tried reinstalling it, as well
| as linux-image-rt, and linux-rt, but still I have only old kernels on
| the GRUB menu; maybe I have to manually edit the GRUB menu list? Aren't
| they supposed to get added when they're installed?

update-grub is your friend. For some reason this was not run
automatically on your machine during the install. Was your install
interrupted? It doesn't really matter unless you are trying to
reproduce the problem for a bug report.

Once you have updated grub you should notice a significant improvement.
~ When you are booting into the new kernels it is a good idea to remove
the old ones.

| There are a couple of huge long threads on Ubuntu forums on all kinds of
| things that happened to people's systems when they upgraded to Hardy,
| which is why I waited so long, hoping bugs would get reported and
| fixed. I'm glad this one is LTS; I'm going to skip the next release or
| two so I can have everything working for a while before an upgrade can
| mess it up again.

Hundreds of installs out of how many thousands (tens, hundreds, or
more)? Don't be fooled into thinking there is an epidemic on this basis
alone. Of course you are free (and encouraged) to come to your own
conclusions. I do not intend to start a flame war over this. Our
experiences differ and that is about as far as we are going to get.

At any rate I hope that update-grub does the trick. You should not need
any switches or other command line options though you do need sudo or
admin privileges.

| I hope it doesn't get to the point where you have to re-install every
| time like Windows.

Only time will tell, though the track record of Debian and it's
relatives over the past 10 years gives me cause to be optimistic. No
point spreading FUD about it.

Gustin Johnson 07-15-2008 10:27 PM

many problems after upgrade to Hardy