Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default many problems after upgrade to Hardy

Greetings,

After a more-or-less successful new installation of Ubuntu Studio 8.04 on my Apple laptop, I decided to upgrade my desktop from Gutsy to Hardy.* I had been afraid to try, but the MacBook install was so pretty, I decided to take the plunge.

Lots of things are weird now.* The 8.04 kernel was not installed, still running 7.10.
There is no wallpaper.* The theme now has black letters against a dark brown background in dialog boxes in audio apps, almost impossible to read. The terminal is weird; the characters are rainbow colors, and they don't appear until after "enter" is pressed; there is a dark ghost window to the right of the terminal window.

I tried running upgrade again with Upgrade Manager; it says the system is up to date.* I checked the sources and they are Hardy repositories.* (Some apps have indeed been upgraded, which indicates to me that it is using the current repositories.) I tried upgrading from the terminal; it installed and upgraded 0 packages. I tried burning a DVD and upgrading from it; it installed the latest restricted modules, and removed 84 obsolete packages, but everything seems to work the same.

The sound does work; I ran JACK and Ardour, then Rosegarden.* Xruns galore, but I haven't played with the settings yet.** But, sound comes out from my external sound device like it should.

So all that needs fixing **that I know about** is the terminal app, the wallpaper, and install the new kernel.* But who knows what else is messed up.** Should I:

Install the kernel, terminal, and wallpaper from Synaptic or apt-get?

Install fresh? (I have my home folder backed up on an external drive)?

Something else I haven't thought of?

This is so frustrating.* Ubuntu peaked with Dapper, as far as smooth upgrades are concerned.** I upgraded my old iMac G3 from Dapper to Feisty, and it's even more messed up.* Wish I'd learned my lesson and not upgraded my main desktop.

Thanks,

Paul