Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Martin Sourada

Default palette adjustment proposal

Hi,

based on some discussion with Mark, I decided to suggest slight
adjustment to the brown part of the Echo palette. See the attachments
for comparison between the new one and the old one, the colour changes
are:

old -> new
------------------
#ffc022 -> #eccd84
#b88100 -> #d49725
#804d00 -> #804d00

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Martin

Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

based on some discussion with Mark, I decided to suggest slight
adjustment to the brown part of the Echo palette. See the attachments
for comparison between the new one and the old one, the colour changes
are:

old -> new
------------------
#ffc022 -> #eccd84
#b88100 -> #d49725
#804d00 -> #804d00

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Looking now at those samples, I agree the old brown is a bit too bright,
on the left side of the gradient it is more like gold than cardboard
(which will probably be its primary use).

Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Mark

2008/7/3 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> based on some discussion with Mark, I decided to suggest slight
> adjustment to the brown part of the Echo palette. See the attachments
> for comparison between the new one and the old one, the colour changes
> are:
>
> old -> new
> ------------------
> #ffc022 -> #eccd84
> #b88100 -> #d49725
> #804d00 -> #804d00
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> Martin

was about time that change got in!
sad that i need to take so long and that i nearly need to get mad at
you before you finally realize it.

O well this is far better then the old one.
Now you just have to improve all the old icons.

btw: #ffc022 fits in yellow or orange (incase you still want to keep it in)

Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Nicu Buculei

Mark wrote:

was about time that change got in!
sad that i need to take so long and that i nearly need to get mad at
you before you finally realize it.

Sad that you used such a rude tone.

O well this is far better then the old one.
Now you just have to improve all the old icons.

How about you helping with that? is not that hard to replace a gradient
is some old icons

Old 07-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Nicu Buculei a écrit :
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> based on some discussion with Mark, I decided to suggest slight
>> adjustment to the brown part of the Echo palette. See the attachments
>> for comparison between the new one and the old one, the colour changes
>> are:
>>
>> old -> new
>> ------------------
>> #ffc022 -> #eccd84
>> #b88100 -> #d49725
>> #804d00 -> #804d00
>>
>> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> Looking now at those samples, I agree the old brown is a bit too
> bright, on the left side of the gradient it is more like gold than
> cardboard (which will probably be its primary use).

May be we should keep the old gradient as I am considering to update
emotes in a near future.

Luya

Thu Jul 3 21:30:01 2008
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 20:06:16 +0200
From: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgS3VsY3p5Y2tp? <przemekkulczycki@gmail.com>
To: launchpad-users@lists.canonical.com
Subject: Re: BSD licence
Sender: launchpad-users-bounces@lists.canonical.com

--==============�58787699065699605=Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg=pgp-sha1;
protocol="application/pgp-signature";
boundary="------------enigE9F3367B048AB6E32308C405"

Jennifer Ockwell pisze:
> I'm amazed that people are so bothered by copyright. Am I alone in not
> caring about ownership of translations? I translate to help out, I couldn't
> care less about copyright on my translations.

It doesn't mather if you care about it or not. The law gives you the
exclusive copyright on everything you created.
We have to care about copyrights in Launchpad or we will get sued by
someone who does care about his copyrights.

> At the end of the day I am
> translating something someone else has written. I imagined copyright is
> valid on original works, translating isn't creating something original.

Translations are transformations of original works, which here are the
original english texts from the program.

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki <<>> Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #

--==============�58787699065699605=Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

--==============�58787699065699605==--

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:07 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Nicu Buculei a crit :
> May be we should keep the old gradient as I am considering to update
> emotes in a near future.
>
> Luya

You can use yellow and orange colours for that, can't you?

Martin

Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Martin Sourada a crit*:

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:07 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

Nicu Buculei a crit :
May be we should keep the old gradient as I am considering to update
emotes in a near future.

Luya

You can use yellow and orange colours for that, can't you?

Those colors are also used for weather icons.

Luya

Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 12:12 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Those colors are also used for weather icons.
>
> Luya

Hmm, they're used for the sun, ain't they? I don't think such usage
would be an issue. Me thinks we could qualify it as usage of yellow
+orange with slight touches from the brown scale.

I'd hate to keep two brown scales in the guidelines, and I feel like we
need to update the brown one. As it is now, the brightest colour look
more like orange than brown. And from quick look on all the Echo icons,
it looks like the only icons violating the guideline after the change
would be those containing box and on the edge would be edit-paste,
applications-development, applications-graphics and emblem-important.

Martin

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 10:01 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> based on some discussion with Mark, I decided to suggest slight
> adjustment to the brown part of the Echo palette. See the attachments
> for comparison between the new one and the old one, the colour changes
> are:
>
> old -> new
> ------------------
> #ffc022 -> #eccd84
> #b88100 -> #d49725
> #804d00 -> #804d00
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> Martin

OK, it's been two weeks since then and so far only one little complaint,
that I think is not a show-stopper, and some positive reactions. So,
unless there are any strong objections, I'll change the guideline
officially at Sunday or Monday. Please bear in mind when considering
objections, that some adjustment of used colours in icons is permitted,
as per this note in the guidelines:

"The common practice when drawing icons is to use the palette as a base,
applying it on large areas. Shading with gradients, creating highlights
and shadows by changing value, and minor changes of saturation are also
allowed and endorsed. Colors do not have to come exclusively from this
set, as additional colors may be used. Starting from the base color and
changing value, saturation or even hue slightly gives more consistent
results than starting from arbitrary colors."

Thanks,
Martin