Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 AM
"Norio De Sousa"

Default JACK almost working

Hi guys

I've followed the HOWTOs and I finally understand what I'm doing (always a good place to be) but JACK is just not giving me any sound output.

If I test the output by going to System->Preferences->Sound, it's fine.* If I use the same sound card as output for JACK, I get nothing.

Following the below tutorial, I get ZynAddSubFX's volume meters moving but no audio output.

What should I be looking for?

PS:* I have realtime working, very few xruns (if any), and everything seems to be working, it's just the actual sound output giving me hassles.* Also, I'm using my HP laptop's onboard sound for this.* I know it's not ideal but I just want to get it working before I get serious about recording.

Thanks!

Norio
www.norio.co.za

Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Steve Meiers

It sounds like you're almost there. Did you set Jack's audio connections?
After you start Jack, then the softsynth, on Jack, click the Connect button and then the Audio tab. There you will see a box on the left with outputs and a box on the right with inputs. You select an input and an output and then click the connect button below to make connections.

You want to connect the softsynth output to the audio in[pt.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
"Norio De Sousa"

Thanks Steve

I eventually got sound (from ZynAddSubFX) coming out of my speakers and I know how to repeat the process, so I'm quite happy

Figured that I was best off creating a different user for recording purposes and have only JACK programs running as that user.* That seems to work well.

Now my issue is that I have a Soundtech Lightsnake cable and I can't get it to make any sound.* At one point, I managed to record something from it in Ardour but I've never been able to do that again.*

Theoretically, connecting system input (the lightsnake - "USB Audio") to system output (my soundcard) should allow me to hear what I'm playing but nothing happens.* Even connecting the system input to ardour's inputs doesn't work.* Even after tinkering with the mixer in Ardour.

I'm frustrated but determined.* Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Norio
www.norio.co.za

Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
"Norio De Sousa"

FINALLY figured it all out.

My problem is simply that jackd can only support one soundcard at a time.* So I can either record OR play audio.* Not both, so definitely no monitoring of what I'm recording until I figure something out.

The positive behind all this is that I can easily replicate jackd settings that work for recording from my guitar, which is super.* I was beginning to wonder if the SoundTech LightSnake cable I bought was working at all!

Anyhoo...

Alsa supports running 2 cards as 1 virtual card.* That should work for recording on the 1 and listening to the output on the other.* But I just can't seem to get my .asoundrc file right.* Help?

www.norio.co.za/files/.asoundrc

Norio
www.norio.co.za

Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
"Norio De Sousa"

Will you upload and link to a screenshot of your setup in qjackctl, please?* What you've described is exactly what I want to achieve.* Also, what version of jack are you using?

For me, it just doesn't work and I've tried many different configurations and permutations :P

Thanks!

Norio
www.norio.co.za

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Yeah, I'd love to be able to do that!

Tell us how!

Will you upload and link to a screenshot of your setup in qjackctl, please?* What you've described is exactly what I want to achieve.* Also, what version of jack are you using?

For me, it just doesn't work and I've tried many different configurations and permutations :P

Thanks!

Norio
www.norio.co.za

I thought jack did support two soundcards, as long as they're not both trying to record or play. In qjackctl settings you can pick a seperate soundcard for input and output, I do this and use my laptop's onboard for playback and an external usb for recording at the same time.

Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
"Norio De Sousa"

Yup!* That was a huge help!* Thanks

Biggest difference is that I was using specifics (like hw:1,0) instead of the general interface (hw:1).* Probably explains it all.

How are your xruns with this setup?

Thanks again Joe!* You're a lifesaver!!

Norio
www.norio.co.za