-   -   Apology for/explanation of rant, was What do you guys listen to? :) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/10685-apology-explanation-rant-what-do-you-guys-listen.html)

"D. Michael McIntyre" 12-02-2007 06:10 PM

On Sunday 02 December 2007, greg emond wrote:

> I am french, and the first joke was very funny. The seond one was... THE
> truth! I will lift my arms and kill you all with the toxic fumes that
> emanate from there! vive le quebec libre!

I shouldn't have gone there, but since I did, and since a fair number of
people really don't seem to get it, I feel I should point out for any
non-American friends who didn't grasp the irony that the whole rant
was "acted out" by a stereotypical insular American with no idea what's going
on outside this country's borders. It was all a laugh at the worst my
country has to offer on the world stage, not at anyone outside these borders
at all, and most especially not French people. (Je parle français aussi, mon
ami, bien que je le parle très mal.) [TRANSLATION OF FRENCH TEXT: I speak
French too, my friend, though I speak it very badly.]

So anyone in the audience who isn't American should point at us and laugh, and
anyone who lives inside these borders should look around and laugh. We're
not all like that, but some of us really are.

But the whole thing was really a horrible public exhibit of why I spent a
significant part of my childhood getting beaten up by somebody. Lots of
people don't get my twisted sense of humor at all, and especially not in an
environment where most readers speak English as a second language, and
haven't spent as many hours as I have watching Monty Python, South Park,
Carlos Mencia, and weirdly twisted French and Spanish movies.

Sorry about all the noise everybody. I just want to make sure there are no
hard feelings.

If necessary, I'll call Dad over to come hold my head in the toilet and get
one of my kids to take a picture of me getting a good old fashioned American
swirly. That is if the old man is strong enough to lift my stereotypically
overweight American truck driving redneck ass that high.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

"Luis de Bethencourt" 12-02-2007 06:39 PM

Apology for/explanation of rant, was What do you guys listen to? :)

You are just wrong, accept it!!

Lol! I did got the joke but because I have been exposed to american
culture since I was 3 (studied in an american school).

But the photos you are suggesting of yourself seam interesting, you
still have to send them eventhough I excuse you.

Luis de Bethencourt

On Dec 2, 2007 8:10 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 December 2007, greg emond wrote:
>
> > I am french, and the first joke was very funny. The seond one was... THE
> > truth! I will lift my arms and kill you all with the toxic fumes that
> > emanate from there! vive le quebec libre!
>
> I shouldn't have gone there, but since I did, and since a fair number of
> people really don't seem to get it, I feel I should point out for any
> non-American friends who didn't grasp the irony that the whole rant
> was "acted out" by a stereotypical insular American with no idea what's going
> on outside this country's borders. It was all a laugh at the worst my
> country has to offer on the world stage, not at anyone outside these borders
> at all, and most especially not French people. (Je parle français aussi, mon
> ami, bien que je le parle très mal.) [TRANSLATION OF FRENCH TEXT: I speak
> French too, my friend, though I speak it very badly.]
>
> So anyone in the audience who isn't American should point at us and laugh, and
> anyone who lives inside these borders should look around and laugh. We're
> not all like that, but some of us really are.
>
> But the whole thing was really a horrible public exhibit of why I spent a
> significant part of my childhood getting beaten up by somebody. Lots of
> people don't get my twisted sense of humor at all, and especially not in an
> environment where most readers speak English as a second language, and
> haven't spent as many hours as I have watching Monty Python, South Park,
> Carlos Mencia, and weirdly twisted French and Spanish movies.
>
> Sorry about all the noise everybody. I just want to make sure there are no
> hard feelings.
>
> If necessary, I'll call Dad over to come hold my head in the toilet and get
> one of my kids to take a picture of me getting a good old fashioned American
> swirly. That is if the old man is strong enough to lift my stereotypically
> overweight American truck driving redneck ass that high.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

"Luis de Bethencourt" 12-03-2007 07:41 AM

On Dec 3, 2007 5:28 AM, greg emond <g4gregoire@hotmail.com> wrote:

> my turn to say DOH! shouldve put a smiley at the end of that tirade....
> :)
>
> i got your humor the first time around, and just answered the same way...
> you know, if we cant laugh at ourselves a bit, then we dont deserve to point
> a finger at others. I shouldve added thestinky cheese and the underarm
> baguette as well...mightve been a bit more obvious.....sorry!
>
> you know, quebec is just up north of you guys, so dont worry, im exposed
> enough not to take offense.....and quebec ladys are quite good looking to
> ;) (even though im married to a japanese.....)

japanese are better. hooray for you.