Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Default how to install low lattency in ubuntu?

gabriel moreira a écrit :
> Hello!
> I have installed the ordinary ubuntu, an then, upgraded it to Ubuntu
> Studio. But when I´ve noticed that I had little bugs on running
> programs like Ardour and audacity, I´ve realized that I don´t have the
> Low-Lattency Kernel...how can I install it?
> Thanks, Gabriel
hi,

in synaptic, just look for linux-rt, install it and reboot.

Bye

Laurent

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
altern

laurent.bellegarde(e)k dio:
> gabriel moreira a écrit :
>> Hello!
>> I have installed the ordinary ubuntu, an then, upgraded it to Ubuntu
>> Studio. But when I´ve noticed that I had little bugs on running
>> programs like Ardour and audacity, I´ve realized that I don´t have the
>> Low-Lattency Kernel...how can I install it?
>> Thanks, Gabriel
> hi,
>
> in synaptic, just look for linux-rt, install it and reboot.

I did that and on my laptop the rt kernel does not work very well, I get
problems with freebob, I am not sure if this has to do with my hardware
or with upgrading from ubuntu to studio. Apparently it is better to
install ubuntu studio from DVD than upgrading from ordinary Ubuntu,
something to do with configuration. If you just installed the system you
might consider doing it again from the Studio DVD.

Please anyone correct me if i what i am saying is not correct...

enrike

Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Matthew Polashek

If there are funky thinks added to your kernel, like Freebob or
virtualbox, then you have to mess with them again when the kernel is
changed.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:48 PM
"Hector Centeno"

Hi,

I was having problems with Freebob and UbuntuStudio on my laptop (on
my desktop works fine) which I solved by adding nohz=off to the
kernel-rt options in /boot/grub/menu.lst file. The problems I had were
that Jack started fine but then I was getting lots of xruns and jack
crashes. I remember having the same kind of problems with the 2.6.24
kernels using Fedora. It seems that it was solved in the 2.6.25. Do
you know if Ubuntu and UbuntuStudio will at some point upgrade the
kernel to 2.6.25?

Cheers,

Hector

Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
"Cory K."

Hector Centeno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was having problems with Freebob and UbuntuStudio on my laptop (on
> my desktop works fine) which I solved by adding nohz=off to the
> kernel-rt options in /boot/grub/menu.lst file. The problems I had were
> that Jack started fine but then I was getting lots of xruns and jack
> crashes. I remember having the same kind of problems with the 2.6.24
> kernels using Fedora. It seems that it was solved in the 2.6.25. Do
> you know if Ubuntu and UbuntuStudio will at some point upgrade the
> kernel to 2.6.25?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hector

If the nohz=off option worked for you that the newer -rt kernels should
work fine. No need for 2.6.25.

-Cory m/

Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
"Hector Centeno"

Hello,

It's with the latest RT kernel from the Ubuntu repos that I'm using
nohz=off. I don't then Jack using Freebob becomes very unstable. Is
that the newer RT kernel you were talking about?

Cheers,

Hector

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM
"fokusfired focusfired"

Be careful to install correct linux-restricted-modules and backport modules (if needed) when you install a new kernel version. Sometimes users miss the additional modules for their hardware.