-   -   Trouble with setting up Jack (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/102798-trouble-setting-up-jack.html)

Carla 06-08-2008 12:41 PM

Trouble with setting up Jack

Yeah I am afraid the visual side of my brain works better but so far so good with the tutorial. There are terms that I am still learning.
OK I picked default as I do not know which to pick from the drop down box. The numbers are yellow and not red. It get's to about 70 something percentage and drops, rises, drops etc.
Yes I realise I will have to put a proper soundcard in. I will hopefully get one this week but it depends on finances. I have a really good network of people around me that can get me a good one. It won't be the best one ofcourse but maybe it will. Anyway when I am recording I am using a microphone. I don't record musical instruments at all. I also don't use a lot of tracks when making music after all I am from the old skool of Hip Hop where music is not the focus. It s about the lyrics.

hollunder@gmx.at wrote: On
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:57:35 +1000 (EST)
Carla wrote:

> Hi I installed from the dvd and as I am reading the howto, it has the
> kernel that is mentioned. What is an audio interface? OK I have jack
> control opened and only got as far as the interface. In the drop down
> box there is default, hw:0, plughw:0 and /dev/dsp . I have never done
> the IRC thing. Is it like using an IM? Sorry I have no idea. Carla

Hi Carla,
so far, so good.
There are no pictures in the tutorial yet, so it's not that easy to
follow.
An audio-interface is the same as a soundcard, it's just a different
name. Your 'soundcard', for example, isn't a card, so some people like
to use audio-interface instead.
So you need to choose the interface the jack server should use.
Try to click on the little > besides the interface option, try to
identify your onboard soundcard and select it. If you can't
identify
it, try (default).

Then try what the tutorial suggests: tick the realtime checkbox, set
the Frames/Period to 1024 and the Periods/Buffer to 3.

Click the OK-button to close the setup dialogue, press the Start button
and see if the jack-server starts.

If it does, good. If not, there's something wrong.
When it is running, look at the display. If there's a red number that's
increasing, you need to tune your settings, else you'll experience
dropouts.
Be aware that it's rather hard to get good performance out of jack with
onboard audio interfaces.

Regards,
Philipp

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

06-08-2008 01:10 PM

Trouble with setting up Jack

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:41:55 +1000 (EST)
Carla <poppinlockin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Yeah I am afraid the visual side of my brain works better but so far
> so good with the tutorial. There are terms that I am still learning.
> OK I picked default as I do not know which to pick from the drop down
> box. The numbers are yellow and not red. It get's to about 70
> something percentage and drops, rises, drops etc.

Ok, as long as there is only green 0 (0) below 'Started' and no red
numbers, everything's fine. The yellow % numbers are cpu-load. It
shouldn't be at 70% but rather fairly below 10%.

>Yes I realise I
> will have to put a proper soundcard in. I will hopefully get one this
> week but it depends on finances. I have a really good network of
> people around me that can get me a good one. It won't be the best one
> ofcourse but maybe it will.

When getting a soundcard, make sure it is compatible. The best place to
check that is: http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

> Anyway when I am recording I am using a
> microphone. I don't record musical instruments at all. I also don't
> use a lot of tracks when making music after all I am from the old
> skool of Hip Hop where music is not the focus. It s about the lyrics.

The main strengths of the jack system are the possibility to get really
low latencies and very flexible routing. If you don't have high
requirements, single applications using alsa might suffice.
For loop-based and straight stuff, lmms could be a all-in-one option
(similar to fruity loops), but beware that it's still pretty early in
development and that it's not in Ubuntu Studio by default.
Try and test, find out what works for you. It could be interconnecting
apps using jack or a single app that does it for you, try, try, try,
and ask.

Philipp

Carla 06-08-2008 02:41 PM

Trouble with setting up Jack

Thanks but I have bashed my head too long and it hurts. I really don't understand alsa or anything sound wise in linux. I have decided to install ubuntustudio on my other machine as it has the better soundcard (well not soundonboard) and more ram too. I just don't know how to upgrade from a dvd via the respositories.

hollunder@gmx.at wrote: On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:41:55 +1000 (EST)

"Andrew Oikle" 06-08-2008 03:47 PM

Trouble with setting up Jack

Carla.* By the looks of it, your sound card is compatible.* If you haven't already, you need to understand what Jack is for.* If you've used Re-Wire in the Windoze world, it's like that but better.* It's used to route ("wire") audio inputs and outputs between the music programs and the soundcard, so it's actually your patchbay.* It's also used to synchronize tempo of the multiple music programs you choose.*

For instance I use Ardour to record.* To route inputs from the soundcard, I go to Jack, click "connect" and connect the soundcard inputs on the left panel (which might appear as 'capture_1' and 'capture_2' under 'alsa_pcm' or 'system') to the tracks I created in Ardour on the right that appear under 'ardour'.* You will probably need to click on the [+] to expand and see the individual connections under each program you see in Jack.* You simply connect these inputs and outputs by click-dragging between them.* Ardour depends on Jack to connect all its tracks to it's master output and bus'es too.* You disconnect by clicking on both sides of the connection and clicking disconnect.* Don't click Disconnect All unless you really mean to Disconnect All.

So to not get confused, the "input" of the soundcard is actually an "output" in Jack, called Readable Clients which makes more sense said that way.* The Writeable Clients such as your soundcard output "system or alsa_pcm", is an Input in Jack but a physical output respectively.* Look at like the 'inputs' to your 'outputs' and the 'outputs' of your 'inputs'.

For each Jack-aware music app (eg. Hydrogen), you'll also see them in the Jack connections panel.* To understand what Alsa is in the Linux world, Instead of getting a driver for windows from that soundcard's website, Alsa is the sound driver(s) for all the different sound cards our there, a one-for-all(most actually), instead of one-for-one in the shitty windows world.* If you get any sound without Jack (ie. the startup sound), your card is working and you really don't need to understand more about Alsa.* Hope that helps.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Julandrew

Carla 06-08-2008 04:06 PM

Trouble with setting up Jack

Hi Andrew
Yep I get sound on startup and using voice like when chatting in skype.
I don't know re-wire.
I do know what a patchbay is as I used one in a studio I used to use where there was a Mac and protools on it but I am afraid I wasn't experienced enough sometimes. Like if someone changed things around the day before I went in it was hell to remember where everything was supposed to be. I only every used protools and I recorded vocals there. I used to walk in with the backing track(music) already done at home and load it in via the cd or dvd drive. Sometimes from a flash drive. There was also mixind desk there too but I always had trouble remembering what went where.
Gee I wish I could get my head around your explanation. I am sorry I don't get it.

Andrew Oikle <aoikle@gmail.com> wrote: Carla.* By the looks of