Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Trouble with setting up Jack

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:11:08 +1000 (EST)
Carla <poppinlockin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi I have Ubuntustudio installed and previously had some of the audio
> production stuff on Ubuntu 6.10 and Debian. I have never been able to
> get Jack happening therefore have not started any type of production
> because i have no sound. I would appreciate someone that just doesn't
> send me a link as I have read all the help pages. I don't understand
> them. I have been battling for months and have a background in audio
> using a studio(Mac and protools). I have also used a lot of programs
> in windows for years like acid pro, free pro tools, Ejay(Hip Hop),
> Cool Edit etc. I have also noticed that there are a lot of apps in
> this distro that have the name Jack so I have no idea which is which.
> Carla

And a link :P
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/JackQuickStart
I started to write that tutorial for people who are new and try to get
jack up and running. However, it is still far from finished.

You could try to follow it, and write a mail when you are stuck
somewhere. Please provide further information, like: What is your audio
interface? Did you install Ubuntu Studio from DVD? What did you do so
far?

Also, you could try to get almost-realtime answers (if you are lucky..)
on IRC. Channel #ubuntustudio on freenode.

Best Regards
Philipp

Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Carla

OK I have 8.04 Ubuntu studio. I have soundonboard which is AC '97 and a Intel 1.8gig cpu, 512mhz rambus. Um how much more details? I can get a full report as I have a program on the windows drive that does that. I will be getting a proper soundcard at some point. I want to be able to make music with linux but I don't know what all these programs do yet. I used to use loops a lot but want to get more into making my own beats. I will use whatever program to record vocals and use effects on them. I make Hip Hop basically.
Carla

antoine clémot <enaoutan@gmail.com> wrote: Hi!

You have to give some details on the distribution you work with, your soundcard and your hardware, and what do u want exactly???

Hi I have Ubuntustudio installed and previously had some of the audio production stuff on Ubuntu 6.10 and Debian. I have never been able to get Jack happening therefore have not started any type of production because i have no sound. I would appreciate someone that just doesn't send me a link as I have read all the help pages. I don't understand them. I have been battling for months and have a background in audio using a studio(Mac and protools). I have also used a lot of programs in windows for years like acid pro, free pro tools, Ejay(Hip Hop), Cool Edit etc. I have also noticed that there are a lot of apps in this distro that have the name Jack so I have no idea which is which.
Carla
Get the name you always wanted with the
new y7mail email address.

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 AM
"antoine clémot"

To make easily drums you can use hydrogen. You can use the soundbanks and add some files in .wav or .flac (samples, anything you want but it reads it entirely, that is until the end of your audio file).
Zynaddsubfx (a modular synthesizer) has some interesting soundbanks, and you can change the sound like you want! Use the virtual keyboard (button VKB) to play the sounds with your keyboard.

To do multiple tracks use ardour or audacity (the last is less convinient 'cose you don't have a mixer to manage your different tracks, but maybe easier to use at the beginnig .
With Jackrack you can play FX on your voice or whatever you want in realtime (the latency depending on your system and soundcard).

Qjackctl is a soundserver allowing you to connect the inputs/outputs of your soundcard (as well as the ones of your audio softwares) in any ways you want it to work. It synchronizes all that.
Follow the tutorial to make qjackctl work. I have only one bad new : under 8.04 ubuntu studio Jack is realllllly not stable... I just moved to Studio64 (and it works well) : try both!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Carla

Hi I installed from the dvd and as I am reading the howto, it has the kernel that is mentioned. What is an audio interface?
OK I have jack control opened and only got as far as the interface. In the drop down box there is default, hw:0, plughw:0 and /dev/dsp .
I have never done the IRC thing. Is it like using an IM? Sorry I have no idea.
Carla

hollunder@gmx.at wrote: On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:11:08 +1000 (EST)

Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Carla

Yeah I was playing a bit with Hydrogen last night and I know I have used programs like it in windows way back in the past. Don't remember the names. I lost a lot of stuff due to computer problems that went on forever with the OS (windows) or whatever infection being at fault probably. Oh and software conflicts. Ah so I can add files....mmmmm didn't know that ok. Thanks!
So I can use my KB like a piano is that what your saying? Wow sounds good. Would like to try that.
Yeah ardour and audacity are what I have been mostly looking at. I dabbled with audacity quite a bit. Just some simple editing and converting files like wav to mp3. I understand ardour is like protools but because I haven't got sound I can't give it a good go yet.
Thanks for the explanation about jackrack....that would be a good edition especially if it has a vocador...or however you spell that word. Nice old school effect for the voice.
Qjackctl-is that just like Jack?
Gee i can't download any
os's as I have a very low internet usage. Damn australia...backwards country. I do have dynebolic that someone also downloaded for me but gee I have asked too many favours to get what I have. Is it really that unstable. Ekkkk I would have to find new friends to get another os. It is just that here in Australia we are all restricted by small usage limits. Sending for an OS on dvd is also not an option for me as I am broke(pension) and struggling badly.
Carla
antoine clémot <enaoutan@gmail.com> wrote: To make easily drums you can use hydrogen. You can use the soundbanks and add some files in .wav or .flac (samples, anything you want but it reads it entirely, that is until the end of your audio file).

Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:57:35 +1000 (EST)
Carla <poppinlockin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi I installed from the dvd and as I am reading the howto, it has the
> kernel that is mentioned. What is an audio interface? OK I have jack
> control opened and only got as far as the interface. In the drop down
> box there is default, hw:0, plughw:0 and /dev/dsp . I have never done
> the IRC thing. Is it like using an IM? Sorry I have no idea. Carla

Hi Carla,
so far, so good.
There are no pictures in the tutorial yet, so it's not that easy to
follow.
An audio-interface is the same as a soundcard, it's just a different
name. Your 'soundcard', for example, isn't a card, so some people like
to use audio-interface instead.
So you need to choose the interface the jack server should use.
Try to click on the little > besides the interface option, try to
identify your onboard soundcard and select it. If you can't identify
it, try (default).

Then try what the tutorial suggests: tick the realtime checkbox, set
the Frames/Period to 1024 and the Periods/Buffer to 3.

Click the OK-button to close the setup dialogue, press the Start button
and see if the jack-server starts.

If it does, good. If not, there's something wrong.
When it is running, look at the display. If there's a red number that's
increasing, you need to tune your settings, else you'll experience
dropouts.
Be aware that it's rather hard to get good performance out of jack with
onboard audio interfaces.

Regards,
Philipp