Old 06-06-2008, 07:34 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default Migrating from 32-bit to 64; Hardy makes keyboard work

Greetings,

I've been running 32 bit Ubuntu Studio (Gutsy) on my AMD 64 desktop, and I notice the latest release is available in 64 bit version.* If I move my /home directory to its own partition, and install the new 64 bit version, using the old /home, will the settings and whatnot stored in /home wreak havoc with the new system?* Are there some things that should be removed?

In Hardy, for the first time there is kernel support for the keyboard controller/audio interface I have,* I have confirmed this by installing in my Apple laptop; the keyboard just works, for both MIDI and audio.* It never worked in previous versions, so I'm anxious to get Hardy installed on the desktop so I can finally experience 64 bit speed with a working interface.* This is going to require major surgery on the hard drive if I wan to use my current /home with a fresh install, so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Paul