Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Martin Hess

Default oVirt

Given that KVM is the*preferred*virtualization solution and that we have Virtual Machine Manager to manage a single instance, is there an chance we will be seeing oVirt anytime soon?
http://ovirt.org/
From their home page:
"From running a few virtual machines on a single host to managing thousands of VMs over hundreds of hosts on a network, oVirt is built to make virtualization easy and expand to meet your needs."
I need a way to manage many machines Amazon EC2 style and this looks like a great tool. Currently I'm writing lots of code to do the job but I would love to dump it in exchange for something like this.
While I'm wishing for the moon I may as well as ask for Cobbler:
http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/
It*basically*make PXE boot setup painless for virtualized installs of KVM etc.
Both of these projects are part(?) sponsored by RedHat as an "Emerging Technology Project", whatever that means. There*brethren*are:
Augeas -*A configuration editing tool and APIlibvirt -*The open source virtualization APICobbler -*OS provisioning and profile managementoVirt -*Virtualization management across the data centerFreeIPA -*Identity, policy and audit managementVirtual Machine Manager -*Virtualization management from theFunc -*A secure, scriptable remote control framework & API
I believe these all part of RedHat's Linux Automation for IT*https://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/LinuxAutomation_whitepaper.pdf
Is someone porting these at this time? Is this on Canonical's roadmap? Should these be on Canonical's roadmap?--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
"James Dinkel"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Martin Hess <martinhess@mac.com> wrote:
> Given that KVM is the preferred virtualization solution and that we have
> Virtual Machine Manager to manage a single instance, is there an chance we
> will be seeing oVirt anytime soon?
> http://ovirt.org/

Nice find. I like this. I've been keeping my eye on a similar
project called Enomalism ( http://www.enomalism.com/ ), but ovirt
looks tantilizing in several ways over Enomalism:
1) it's backed by a more reputable company
2) the interface looks "cleaner"
3) it uses Rails ( Ruby is the only programming language I know well )

I've been sticking with VMWare Server for now, because I really need a
full-featured gui tool to manage my virtual machines remotely. In
most cases I am very comfortable with command line, but what can I
say, VMWare has made me lazy in regards to virtual machine management.

James