Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM
"Owen Townend"

Default select mirror

On 09/05/2008, Serge van Ginderachter <serge@vanginderachter.be> wrote:

> Just read this post:
>
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-select-fastest-mirror-in-ubuntu.html
>
> I was wondering what the way of work would be to do this by commandline?
> For me, a test of 'fastest' mirror isn't even really necessary, I would be satisfied to just have a list of local (National) mirrors to select from, e.g. depending on which ISP I am.
>

> Serge

Hey,
The app /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk seems to do a simple ping
test of a list of mirrors. You can find a list of mirrors[1] and
script a simple, similar test.

cheers,
Owen.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

> Hey,
> The app /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk seems to do a simple ping
> test of a list of mirrors. You can find a list of mirrors[1] and
> script a simple, similar test.

It's not really the speed test that matters to me actually.
Having a quick and simple way to change/switch sources.list would be nice.

> cheers,
> Owen.
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Actually, the installer already does that, I guess it's part of the debian-installer.
The problem arises of for whatever reason you don't have connectivity ta install time, setting up apt breaks at that point, leaving you with the standard main repo and cdrom. You then have to do it manually afterwards.

Maybe the installer script can be re-used?

Serge