Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Sander van Vugt

Default Ubuntu Server graphical interface?

Hi,

Sure, I know, you shouldn't run a graphical interface on a server. But
some of my customers just want to be able to start up a graphical
environment anyway. And since it's my task to server my customers in the
most optimal way, I'd like to have some advice here: is there any
recommended procedure of setting up X on Ubuntu Server, or is something
like

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xfonts* gnome

just the best way of doing it?

Thanks for your advice,

Sander

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

You should try installing the meta-package ubuntu-desktop.

I think that with the amount of resources that the machines of today have, having graphical interfaces in servers isn't really something bad.

Cheers, Leandro.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
"Aaron Kincer"

If you are a consultant, I would argue your job is to provide the best advice and steer customers away from making bad decisions.

Regardless, you might as well install the desktop version and make it a server since the GUI packages won't be supported for the full server support term.

Either that or compile source packages for a lightweight GUI yourself.

You might want to include in your contracts provisions to pay for your time to apply any security and stability updates manually for the GUI that you will almost certainly have to do.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Aaron Kincer

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:31:03 -0300
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva" <leandro@limaesilva.com.br> wrote:

> I think that with the amount of resources that the machines of today
> have, having graphical interfaces in servers isn't really something
> bad.

Resources were never the problem. It's about security and stability.
It's about too many moving parts that aren't necessary.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM
MJang

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 20:13 +0200, Sander van Vugt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sure, I know, you shouldn't run a graphical interface on a server. But
> some of my customers just want to be able to start up a graphical
> environment anyway. And since it's my task to server my customers in the
> most optimal way, I'd like to have some advice here: is there any
> recommended procedure of setting up X on Ubuntu Server, or is something
> like
>
> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xfonts* gnome

Similar to what Leandro suggests, there's the kubuntu-desktop and
xubuntu-desktop meta packages.

Thanks,
mike

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM
David Portwood

Installing gnome+gdm should pull in all the dependancies, a much lighter
weight solution would be xfce+xdm.
Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Serge van Ginderachter

Sander,

----- "Sander van Vugt" <sander.van.vugt@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Sure, I know, you shouldn't run a graphical interface on a server.
> But
> some of my customers just want to be able to start up a graphical
> environment anyway.

Why does he want that?
To do extra things besides the normal server roles? Then that could be an option.
To manage the server? Then Webmin might be a better option.

> recommended procedure of setting up X on Ubuntu Server, or is
> something
> like
>
> sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xfonts* gnome
>
> just the best way of doing it?

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

does the trick. Already did that in a classroom environment.

Serge

Serge van Ginderachter http://www.vanginderachter.be/

Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf

Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Eric Krieger

if you need the full desktop gui...

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

... this should install all the packaged needed.

Eric

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Neal McBurnett

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:40:23AM -0700, MJang wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 20:13 +0200, Sander van Vugt wrote:
> > Sure, I know, you shouldn't run a graphical interface on a server. But
> > some of my customers just want to be able to start up a graphical
> > environment anyway. And since it's my task to server my customers in the
> > most optimal way, I'd like to have some advice here: is there any
> > recommended procedure of setting up X on Ubuntu Server, or is something
> > like
> >
> > sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xfonts* gnome
>
> Similar to what Leandro suggests, there's the kubuntu-desktop and
> xubuntu-desktop meta packages.

There is also eBox - a web-based gui that lets you use any machine to
remotely adminster the server.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/eBox

For more on this topic see

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 14:47, Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> Sander,
>
> ----- "Sander van Vugt" <sander.van.vugt@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Sure, I know, you shouldn't run a graphical interface on a server.
> > But
> > some of my customers just want to be able to start up a graphical
> > environment anyway.
>
> Why does he want that?
> To do extra things besides the normal server roles? Then that could be an
> option. To manage the server? Then Webmin might be a better option.

Webmin was removed from both Debian and Ubuntu because the way it manages
configuration files is not compatible with the Debian package management
system. Ebox is a similar system and much of it is available from the
official Ubuntu repositories in Hardy.

Scott K