Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default "Support" was Paravirtualizing Hardy Heron server

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:22:21 -0300 "Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"
<leandro@limaesilva.com.br> wrote:
>Carlo,
>
>The best I can find for you are these two documents:
>http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
>
>I don't know if there is a way of setting apt just to use the packages with
>5 years of support, but my guess is that there isn't.

There isn't. Do keep in mind that "Support" in this context is commercial
support provided by Canonical under their standard support contracts. The
rest of this distro is not "Unsupported". It is supported by the Ubuntu
community. Other companies may provide commercial support on other terms.
I've not looked into it.

The first thing to do if you want to enure you only have packages that are
commercially supported by Canonical is to disable the Universe and
Multiverse repositories. Those are not commercially supported by Canonical
at any time.

Scott K

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Neal McBurnett

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:36:44PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >I don't know if there is a way of setting apt just to use the packages with
> >5 years of support, but my guess is that there isn't.
>
> There isn't. Do keep in mind that "Support" in this context is commercial
> support provided by Canonical under their standard support contracts. The
> rest of this distro is not "Unsupported". It is supported by the Ubuntu
> community. Other companies may provide commercial support on other terms.
> I've not looked into it.

I thought support was more about a committment to security fixes and
SRUs and things like that. E.g. even if Canonical went away for some
unforseen reason, the money dedicated to the Ubuntu Foundation would,
I assume, be used for security patches among other things.

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/UbuntuFoundation

"In order to support the use of free software on database and other
servers, we will be offering security support for the Ubuntu base and
major server components for a full five years", said Matt Zimmerman,
CTO of the Ubuntu project

...The extended service support for Ubuntu version 6.04 will remain free
of charge, under the same terms as the support currently provided to
every release of Ubuntu.

I think it would help to have this made clearer in the sources.list
file and on the website. E.g. mentioning motu-swat in those contexts.

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 14:03, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:36:44PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > >I don't know if there is a way of setting apt just to use the packages
> > > with 5 years of support, but my guess is that there isn't.
> >
> > There isn't. Do keep in mind that "Support" in this context is
> > commercial support provided by Canonical under their standard support
> > contracts. The rest of this distro is not "Unsupported". It is
> > supported by the Ubuntu community. Other companies may provide
> > commercial support on other terms. I've not looked into it.
>
> I thought support was more about a committment to security fixes and
> SRUs and things like that. E.g. even if Canonical went away for some
> unforseen reason, the money dedicated to the Ubuntu Foundation would,
> I assume, be used for security patches among other things.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/UbuntuFoundation
>
> "In order to support the use of free software on database and other
> servers, we will be offering security support for the Ubuntu base and
> major server components for a full five years", said Matt Zimmerman,
> CTO of the Ubuntu project
>
> ...The extended service support for Ubuntu version 6.04 will remain free
> of charge, under the same terms as the support currently provided to
> every release of Ubuntu.
>
> I think it would help to have this made clearer in the sources.list
> file and on the website. E.g. mentioning motu-swat in those contexts.

I would assume.

Yes. That's mostly the kind of support I meant, not primarily that answering
your questions kind. The motu-swat team is part of the community support I
described earlier.

Scott K