Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM
carlopmart

Default Paravirtualizing Hardy Heron server

Hi all,

Somebody can appoints me how can I paravirtualize an ubuntu hardy heron server
under RHEL/CentOS host?? I can't find any reference about it on wiki.ubuntu.com ...

And another question, how can i configure apt for download only server
packages under domU guests?? I need to know (and of course install and mantain)
which server packages have 5 years support ...

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
carlopmart

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Somebody can appoints me how can I paravirtualize an ubuntu hardy heron
> server under RHEL/CentOS host?? I can't find any reference about it on
> wiki.ubuntu.com ...
>
> And another question, how can i configure apt for download only server
> packages under domU guests?? I need to know (and of course install and
> mantain) which server packages have 5 years support ...

Please any hints about this?? How can I be sure that I only install server
packages??

Is these the official server packages:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/seeds/ubuntu.hardy/server-ship???

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

Carlo,

The best I can find for you are these two documents:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

I don't know if there is a way of setting apt just to use the
packages with 5 years of support, but my guess is that there isn't.

Try contacting Canonical to see if they have some useful information about that.

Cheers, Leandro.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

Oh, I also found this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/techspecs

Cheers, Leandro

Old 05-02-2008, 06:58 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:12 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Somebody can appoints me how can I paravirtualize an ubuntu hardy heron server
> under RHEL/CentOS host?? I can't find any reference about it on wiki.ubuntu.com ...

The linux-image-xen package is the wrapper for Xen domU and dom0
kernels in Ubuntu.

While that image is available in Ubuntu universe, I don't know of an
installable ISO that contains it. Thus, I can't advise you on the
best mechanism for installing a Xen domU of Hardy.

> And another question, how can i configure apt for download only server
> packages under domU guests?? I need to know (and of course install and mantain)
> which server packages have 5 years support ...

Hmm, well first of all, the linux-image-xen kernel is in Universe, not
Main, so the long term support structure is a little different.

For starters, you'd edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to ONLY pull from
"main" and "restricted", and not "universe" and "multiverse". (Note
that this will exclude linux-image-xen.)

Beyond that, the server packages are a subset of main, and it's
unclear at present how to limit your downloads to just those. We're
working on that, as I understand it.

:-Dustin