Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

Default Xen Documentation

Hi again!

Does anyone know where can I find updated docs for using Xen with Hardy?

There was some changes that I didn't keep up with.

For example, when I posted about the network problem here my virtual hds was /dev/sda{1,2}; now xen-tools are creating them as xvda{1,2}. Last time I started xend it turned my eth0 into peth0 and created a bridge with the name eth0, it didn't use to do this either. Oh, now my tty1 in dom0 is also gone.

I was able to "fix" all the listed differences, but I'd rather use it the way the maintainers (and the community) intend to.

Cheers,
--
Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva

Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
"Todd Deshane"

Hi Leandro,

Does anyone know where can I find updated docs for using Xen with Hardy?

There was some changes that I didn't keep up with.

For example, when I posted about the network problem here my virtual hds was /dev/sda{1,2}; now xen-tools are creating them as xvda{1,2}. Last time I started xend it turned my eth0 into peth0 and created a bridge with the name eth0, it didn't use to do this either. Oh, now my tty1 in dom0 is also gone.

I was able to "fix" all the listed differences, but I'd rather use it the way the maintainers (and the community) intend to.

The bridge being eth0 instead of xenbr0 is new in Xen 3.2.

The way ttys are handled with the pv_ops Linux mainline kernel is slightly different, but I don't know all the details yet. You should be able to get this sort of information from one of the xen mailing lists (users/devel) and/or the fedora-xen list.

xen-tools is debian/ubuntu-specific and the naming of devices is still a moving target until the dust settles on the Xen mainline merge.

You should clearly document fixes here (if possible) and in an appropriate section of that wiki page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen

Also see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenInHardy

Also, Xen in hardy should pretty much work out of the box for 8.04.1. If that is not true, make sure that the bugs are filed properly and fixes are put in before the 8.04.1 freeze.

*
Cheers,
Todd

Cheers,