-   -   IT setup using Ubuntu-server (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/73173-setup-using-ubuntu-server.html)

"Jad madi" 04-20-2008 06:09 PM

IT setup using Ubuntu-server

Hello,
I wonder if I can get some tips on getting the following done with
Ubuntu Server, taking in consideration that it will route the internet
1-) central authorization layer for Internet access, File sharing
2-) Users and groups to restrict access on Internet or allocate bandwidth
3-) restrict internet usage for certain groups to certain hours.

--
Jad/Hakam Madi

1024D/1BC049D2

http://Syntux.net/

Your freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while you can.

Ante Karamatić 04-20-2008 06:23 PM

IT setup using Ubuntu-server

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:09:14 +0300
"Jad madi" <jad@syntux.net> wrote:

> 1-) central authorization layer for Internet access, File sharing

Radius (freeradius) with LDAP backend (slapd). I would go with LDAP as
a backend just because of the file sharing.

> 2-) Users and groups to restrict access on Internet or allocate
> bandwidth
> 3-) restrict internet usage for certain groups to certain
> hours.

One option is squid + squidguard. Another is chillispot, which connects
to radius server. Whatever you choose, you'll have to extend it for
your needs. There's no one-config-fits-all, so you'll have work to do.

"Jad madi" 04-20-2008 06:28 PM

IT setup using Ubuntu-server

Ante,
Thanks for the tips, yeah I understand that there is one config to get
things done but I wasn't sure which protocols, packages, auth layer
should I go with and assemble to get that setup.