Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Robbie Williamson

Default 13.04 Call for Ubuntu Server/Cloud Topics

Hi all,

This is the "official" call for discussion about Ubuntu Server/Cloud
planning for the 13.04 cycle. As a reminder, this is a non-LTS
release, thus it is a good time to get in your more daring and
innovative server features, as we typically like to use the following
LTS-1 (13.10) release to harden the key features we want to highlight in
the next LTS (14.04). However, please keep in mind this is *not* true
for our cloud guest images, where users regularly deploy production
workloads on non-LTS Ubuntu Server releases, so we might push back on
features that impact these users.

The process will be conducted as follows:

1. A call for blueprints, i.e. *this* email.

2. Create blueprints that start with "servercloud-r-", mark Dave
Walker[1] as approver, and propose them for uds-r[2].

3. Send an email to ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com to let us know you
submitted the idea, as sometimes we can lose the LP notification amongst
our other LP spam. We will then review the blueprints, ask some
clarification questions, and then approve the ones suitable for
discussion at UDS.

4. UDS happens

5. We provide a final roadmap for 13.04 post-UDS

Note that Dave Walker will be coordinating the Cloud & Server track.
We will also automatically include 12.10 blueprints[3] marked,
"Deferred" in our review for this cycle, assuming it makes sense to
carry them over. Below is the schedule with some details.

= Oct 2nd: Request for Topics =
This email

= Approximately three weeks post UDS - 13.04 Planning Review =
About three weeks after UDS (post FeatureDefinitionFreeze[4]), we
will deliver the UDS 13.04 plan to capture what was actually decided as
the plan of record at UDS, and present that information.

Thanks!

-Robbie
robbie@ubuntu.com

[1] https://launchpad.net/~davewalker
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sprints/uds-r
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/+specs?role=drafter
[4] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureDefinitionFreeze

Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Robbie Williamson

On 10/02/2012 09:54 AM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:
> Regards, Robbie and Dave. It would be nice to see first which are the
> best ideas in the Ubuntu Brainstorm focused on Ubuntu Cloud/Server.
> What do you think?
If you mean brainstorm.ubuntu.com, that traditionally has a
client/desktop focus, so I don't expect many ideas to come from it.
With that said, I'm all for someone proposing a blueprint based on an
idea in Brainstorm...assuming they are also up to working on it

-Robbie

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie@ubuntu.com>
robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"Don't make me angry...you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
-Bruce Banner

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from Robbie Williamson's message of 2012-10-02 07:39:55 -0700:
> Hi all,
>
> This is the "official" call for discussion about Ubuntu Server/Cloud
> planning for the 13.04 cycle. As a reminder, this is a non-LTS
> release, thus it is a good time to get in your more daring and
> innovative server features, as we typically like to use the following
> LTS-1 (13.10) release to harden the key features we want to highlight in
> the next LTS (14.04). However, please keep in mind this is *not* true
> for our cloud guest images, where users regularly deploy production
> workloads on non-LTS Ubuntu Server releases, so we might push back on
> features that impact these users.
>
> The process will be conducted as follows:
>
> 1. A call for blueprints, i.e. *this* email.
>
> 2. Create blueprints that start with "servercloud-r-", mark Dave
> Walker[1] as approver, and propose them for uds-r[2].
>
> 3. Send an email to ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com to let us know you
> submitted the idea, as sometimes we can lose the LP notification amongst
> our other LP spam. We will then review the blueprints, ask some
> clarification questions, and then approve the ones suitable for
> discussion at UDS.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-webscale

We've done this one before, its usually helpful to get a feel for the
necessary work to promote things to main. I have started off with a few
must-haves for Main promotion, but I suspect we will have some others
sprinkled in there.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Spencer Krum

I would like to see newer (i.e. ipv6 supporting) zenoss packages in the next Ubuntu Server.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Excerpts from Robbie Williamson's message of 2012-10-02 07:39:55 -0700:

> Hi all,

> This is the "official" call for discussion about Ubuntu Server/Cloud

> planning for the 13.04 cycle. As a reminder, this is a non-LTS

> release, thus it is a good time to get in your more daring and

> innovative server features, as we typically like to use the following

> LTS-1 (13.10) release to harden the key features we want to highlight in

> the next LTS (14.04). *However, please keep in mind this is *not* true

> for our cloud guest images, where users regularly deploy production

> workloads on non-LTS Ubuntu Server releases, so we might push back on

> features that impact these users.

> The process will be conducted as follows:

> 1. A call for blueprints, i.e. *this* email.

> 2. Create blueprints that start with "servercloud-r-", mark Dave

> Walker[1] as approver, and propose them for uds-r[2].

> 3. Send an email to ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com to let us know you

> submitted the idea, as sometimes we can lose the LP notification amongst

> our other LP spam. *We will then review the blueprints, ask some

> clarification questions, and then approve the ones suitable for

> discussion at UDS.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-webscale

We've done this one before, its usually helpful to get a feel for the

necessary work to promote things to main. I have started off with a few

must-haves for Main promotion, but I suspect we will have some others

sprinkled in there.

Spencer Krum
(619)-980-7820