Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Dean Henrichsmeyer

Default /boot maintenance

Hi All,

I realize this has been covered in the past but I've been observing more of it lately so thought I'd revisit it. Here's the problem I've been observing. Service providers that offer dedicated servers running Ubuntu default to 100MB /boot partitions. This is true of providers like Peer1, Softlayer, etc. Granted, you can fix that by re-provisioning the machine with your own partition preferences prior to putting your data/configuration on the host but most won't note the potential problem until it's too late.

So what happens is if you use something that keeps the machine up to date like Landscape or something of your own, /boot is going to fill up fast. As far as I can tell, Ubuntu Server doesn't tell you that you need a reboot when a new kernel is installed like Desktop does and it's no time at all before /boot is filled up. If you're not monitoring your partitions and/or manually house cleaning /boot consistently, you're going to run into problems.

I realize the ideal thing would be to get providers to change their defaults to something more modern that is in line with the size of today's disks and kernels. That being said, I also think it would be really nice to set a policy or something on the number of kernels you keep around. I'd like users getting dedicated servers running Ubuntu to have a positive experience. I don't know if anything is planned in this area but I thought I'd provide some feedback in case it factors in.

Thanks,
Dean

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM
"Tyler J. Wagner"

Hi Dean,

I agree; a 100 MB boot is just silly. So, run a daily script with this in it.

http://www.tolaris.com/2012/07/19/removing-old-kernels-from-ubuntu/

That purges any kernel that isn't either the highest-versioned one, or one
which is currently running.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures
which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason