Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Martin Sivak

Default Location for unittests - was: add couple of tests and support for them

Hi,

> Could you add all tests into the top-level tests/ directory? I don't
> really like mixing tests and code into the same structure.

This is for longer discussion. I don't like navigating separate (and different) directory structure to find the file with the proper unittest to modify.

And since nobody was maintaining the tests we did with tmlcoch, I think having the tests for file.py in file_test.py makes people realize they should take a look at that file when the code is updated or moved somewhere.

Test execution is handled by python-nose and it doesn't care about where the file is. On the other hand, importing the file under test is much much easier this way (it won't import all the package inits along the way, which is good - unittests are about unit isolation).

Packaging is still OK as we can do rm *_test.py* in the install phase.

David asked me to take care about the unittesting infrastructure and this is my proposal.

Martin