-   -   PHP sqlite<3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/691481-php-sqlite-3-a.html)

Peter Hoffmann 08-07-2012 01:43 PM

PHP sqlite<3

Hy,

I just "discovered" that there is no easy way to install php sqlite<3
[1] support on an ubuntu server - and I think this is a loss.
In older distributions there is php5-sqlite and php5-sqlite3 of which
the former supported sqlite databases prior to version 3 and the letter
sqlite databases of version 3. In 12.04 (I don't know since which
version that changed and I assume that all following versions are
changed as well) php5-sqlite3 was renamed php5-sqlite which is quite
confusing because the "original" php5-sqlite is hence replaced with a
package providing something quite different [1].
On the other hand php5-cli/-cgi does not contain sqlite<3 support. So
right now the only difference to have access to sqlite<3 databases in
php using the current ubuntu version is to download the php-sources and
install the module form them - the pecl package is - first - not
supported any more and - secondly - does just not compile.

Saying this, I personally found my way around but am not so happy with
having to find that out the hard way. So I would either request to
include sqlite extension into php5-core packages or at least providing
some kind of php5-sqlite<3 package (I definitely oppose to re-rename
php5-sqlite to php5-sqlite3 and let the old php5-sqlite resurrect).

So, thank you for your work,
'd be happy to hear from you

Peter Hoffmann

PS: Everything I say refers to the pure sqlite database support, I do
not refer to the pdo-sqlite support which at first glance seems to still
support sqlite<3

[1] I will use the notation sqlite<3 as the short form for sqlite prior
to version 3 e.g. sqlite2
[2] one could discuss if sqlite3 is "quite different" to sqlite<3 but
for this case I make this claim.

Robie Basak 08-08-2012 10:58 AM

PHP sqlite<3

Peter,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:43:17PM +0200, Peter Hoffmann wrote:
> On the other hand php5-cli/-cgi does not contain sqlite<3 support. So
> right now the only difference to have access to sqlite<3 databases in
> php using the current ubuntu version is to download the php-sources and
> install the module form them - the pecl package is - first - not
> supported any more and - secondly - does just not compile.
>
> Saying this, I personally found my way around but am not so happy with
> having to find that out the hard way. So I would either request to
> include sqlite extension into php5-core packages or at least providing
> some kind of php5-sqlite<3 package (I definitely oppose to re-rename
> php5-sqlite to php5-sqlite3 and let the old php5-sqlite resurrect).

I don't follow. Perhaps I misunderstand? You seem to be saying that
php5-sqlite<3 isn't supported upstream any more and does not compile. So
where would the support for php5-sqlite<3 that you want back in Ubuntu
come from?

Ubuntu is just following along from Debian here. Are you saying that
Ubuntu should be doing something different from Debian, and if so, how
exactly? Who are you proposing to maintain this delta?

Robie

Peter Hoffmann 08-10-2012 08:51 AM

PHP sqlite<3

Hy Robie,

I did not know that Ubuntu just follows along Debian so I will share my
considerations with the Debian Maintainers.

Peter