Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM
"L.M.J"

Default Monitor servers

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to monitor cpu/disk usage on several servers and
it send me an email if there is an alert level reached.
BUT I'm looking for a autonomous solution, I don't want a centralized web
page interface who display status of all servers. I just need a program who
monitor the server processes and send alert by email. So, I don't want
Zabbix / Cacti / Nagios / XYmon / ZenOSS / Bijk...
I could code it by myself, but I want something more reliable...

I trough I could use webminstats plugin for Webmin, but I don't like Webmin
so much...

Any ideas ?

--
LMJ
"May the source be with you my young padawan"

Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Egbert

I'm looking for a solution to monitor cpu/disk usage on several servers and
it send me an email if there is an alert level reached.
BUT I'm looking for a autonomous solution, I don't want a centralized web
page interface who display status of all servers. I just need a program who
monitor the server processes and send alert by email. So, I don't want
Zabbix / Cacti / Nagios / XYmon / ZenOSS / Bijk...
I could code it by myself, but I want something more reliable...

I trough I could use webminstats plugin for Webmin, but I don't like Webmin
so much...

Any ideas ?

Have a look at MUNIN:
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-monitoring-a-server-with-munin

or MONIT: http://mmonit.com/

Egbert Jan, NL

Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Andreas Olsson

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 21:23 +0200, L.M.J wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to monitor cpu/disk usage on several servers and
> it send me an email if there is an alert level reached.
> BUT I'm looking for a autonomous solution, I don't want a centralized web
> page interface who display status of all servers. I just need a program who
> monitor the server processes and send alert by email. So, I don't want
> Zabbix / Cacti / Nagios / XYmon / ZenOSS / Bijk...
> I could code it by myself, but I want something more reliable...

Why discard the option of using Nagios, or similar? How about just
running the Nagios daemon, configure notifications the way you want it,
and skip runnings its web gui?

// Andreas

Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Alex Muntada

> Why discard the option of using Nagios, or similar? How about just
> running the Nagios daemon, configure notifications the way you want it,
> and skip runnings its web gui?

If running the nagios daemon is not acceptable, one can use nagios
plugins like check_load and check_disk via cron. But first i'd give monit
a chance...

--
Alex Muntada <alexm@alexm.org>
http://alexm.org/

Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Darren Worrall

On 11 July 2012 20:23, L.M.J <linuxmasterjedi@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a solution to monitor cpu/disk usage on several servers and
> it send me an email if there is an alert level reached.
> BUT I'm looking for a autonomous solution, I don't want a centralized web
> page interface who display status of all servers. I just need a program who
> monitor the server processes and send alert by email. So, I don't want
> Zabbix / Cacti / Nagios / XYmon / ZenOSS / Bijk...
> I could code it by myself, but I want something more reliable...
>
> I trough I could use webminstats plugin for Webmin, but I don't like Webmin
> so much...
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> --
> LMJ
> "May the source be with you my young padawan"

CollectD?

http://collectd.org/
http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Notifications_and_thresholds
http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Notify_Email

Wont even write to rrd's if you dont want it to, just alert you when
something goes over a threshold. Very light, modular, flexible.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 AM
"L.M.J"

Le Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:43:47 +0200,
Egbert <egbert@vandenbussche.nl> a écrit :

> Have a look at MUNIN:
> http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-monitoring-a-server-with-munin
> or MONIT: http://mmonit.com/

I've seen monit. It provides a web interface which I don't need but why not.
I've found also "Mon".
Since those servers are standalone, in complete autonomy without a lot of
resources at all, I'm looking for a simple but reliable monitoring tool.

Thks

Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 AM
"L.M.J"

Le Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:23:43 +0200,
"L.M.J" <linuxmasterjedi@free.fr> a écrit :

> So, I don't want
> Zabbix / Cacti / Nagios / XYmon / ZenOSS / Bijk...
> I could code it by myself, but I want something more reliable...
>
> Any ideas ?

Thanks for your answers guys but I've received most of them directly, you have
sent to my email adress instead of ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com, someone may
be interested by your answer too !

Thx !

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM