Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 AM
GFKjunior

Default Server Team Mentorship

Hey y'all I'm an up-and-coming*engineer looking to start working on some projects and learning about patching and fixing bugs and all that. I came across this server team mentorship on the Ubuntu site and it's*something*I would really like to do.

I am new to C but feel fairly confident, I've worked through a few books and understand the language ok. I've recently started reading The Linux Programming Interface and have gone through the first 9 chapters so I'm excited to motivated to contribute.

Basically I'm looking for some solid direction on where to go. Should I start with MOTU? I would really like to flex and practice some of my C skills though. Basically I want to*transition*from <75 line programs to actual production code.

So far I have been reading up some Ubuntu documentation and have set up the Bazaar and launchpad development tools. I'm also planning to attend the IRC meeting july 3rd.
Excited*to hear back.

--
~Until an asteroid* *

Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Andres Rodriguez

Hi There,
Thank you for your interest in Ubuntu Server. It is always great to see that there's someone*out there*willing to contribute.
Now, before I can point you out where you could start helping out, I think that it is important for you to determine in what type of software you would like to concentrate. We have different areas such as virtualization, mail stack, high*availability*stack, cloud(OpenStack), juju [1], MAAS [2], etc.

Another language that you might be interested in learning is Python, as some of our core technologies are developed in python.
If you would like to start helping with maintaining packages in Ubuntu, I believe a good place to start is the Packaging documentation/tutorial and MOTU as well. You can concentrate in the ubuntu server package set. More information about packaging can be found in [3].

If you would like to start fixing bugs, you can take a look at our list of bugs in [4].
You are also welcome to contact us in #ubuntu-server at freenode.

Should you have further questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.
Best regards,
[1]:https://juju.ubuntu.com/
[2]:https://maas.ubuntu.com/[3]:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/[4]:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+bugs?field.milestone%3Alist=49926

[...]

Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)