-   -   cobbler how to set static ip address for ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/664693-cobbler-how-set-static-ip-address-ubuntu.html)

Shake Chen 05-09-2012 12:47 PM

cobbler how to set static ip address for ubuntu

Hi

I have set up orchestra in ubuntu 12.04. use cobbler deploy OS

the Centos and ubuntu working well .

Now I need set the static IP address for the node.

In centos , I have success,

but for Ubuntu, it no working.

I read http://terrarum.net/administration/deploying-ubuntu-with-cobbler.html

can not working.

--
Shake Chen

Whisperity 05-09-2012 01:06 PM

cobbler how to set static ip address for ubuntu

(Sorry, the previous message accidentally went into Shake Chen's mailbox, instead of the mailing list.)

Dear Shake Chen,

While I am not entirely sure about
cluster/orchestra servers, but on single-computer desktop and server
environments, you can assign a static IP file with editing the
/etc/networking/interfaces file.

Search for the interface you need to configure in said file, and edit it to look like this:

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.1.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254

After
that, you will need to restart the interface, with the commands "ifdown
eth0" and after, "ifup eth0" (both requires root privileges).

Clint Byrum 05-09-2012 02:25 PM

cobbler how to set static ip address for ubuntu

Excerpts from Shake Chen's message of Wed May 09 05:47:11 -0700 2012:
> Hi
>
> I have set up orchestra in ubuntu 12.04. use cobbler deploy OS
>
> the Centos and ubuntu working well .
>
> Now I need set the static IP address for the node.
>
> In centos , I have success,
>
> but for Ubuntu, it no working.
>
> I read http://terrarum.net/administration/deploying-ubuntu-with-cobbler.html
>
> can not working.

Hi Shake!

If you want to set the IP address in the pre-seed, edit the kickstart
template and add a section with static IP config:

# Static network configuration.
d-i netcfg/get_nameservers string 192.168.1.1
d-i netcfg/get_ipaddress string 192.168.1.42
d-i netcfg/get_netmask string 255.255.255.0
d-i netcfg/get_gateway string 192.168.1.1
d-i netcfg/confirm_static boolean true

You can replace any of these with variables, check

sudo cobbler system dumpvars --name=your-system-record

To get the values for the system you want to boot.

Shake Chen 05-09-2012 02:45 PM

cobbler how to set static ip address for ubuntu

Hi Clint

thanks for reply.* let me explan in detail. I think we need use snippets sovle the problem.

I use cobbler deploy OS. I hope all the pc have static IP.

I try to

cobbler system add --name=node58 --profile="" --mac=00:25:90:2D:7A:42 --interface=eth0 --ip=172.16.10.58 --hostname=node58 --gateway=172.16.10.1 --dns-name=114.114.114.114

the node would static IP , This is exactly what I wanted.

for Redhat, cobbler provide Kickstart Snippets* for seting static IP address.
https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/tree/master/snippets

but for ubuntu, modify IP have different from Redhat.

How to let ubuntu also can set static IP use Snippets.