Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Robie Basak

Default OpenMPI for Q

Dear List,

I have been asked whether we need to do anything for OpenMPI for Q. I
had a blueprint for P on this, for which I ended up delivering a 1.5
package in the archive.

Current status to the best of my knowledge is:

* Upstream use an old Linux-style odd/even beta/stable version
numbering scheme.

* 1.4 is the current stable/production upstream release, is in Debian
and Ubuntu and is the default.

* 1.5 is the current upstream beta/testing release. Debian have it in
experimental as replacing 1.4, but don't intend to upload it to sid
until upstream declare it stable/production at which point it will be
labelled 1.6. Ubuntu now has it as a separate package that can be
used in parallel with 1.4 and built against by hand. But all
packages in the Ubuntu archive that use OpenMPI are built against
1.4 (and depend on the 1.4 package).

* Both 1.4 and 1.5 have some level of ARM support. 1.4's ARM support
is based on Jani's patches which we (Ubuntu) are carrying. 1.5's ARM
support is based on Leif's patches which upstream are carrying.

* I have had no feedback from stakeholders on the work done in P so
far. All I know is that a basic "Hello, world!" works on amd64 and
on armhf. If there are any bugs, please find them and file them!

I have also not had any feedback that suggests that we need to do
anything further on this. I expect that Debian will transition to 1.6
when it is released and Ubuntu will sync when this happens. I don't know
whether 1.6 will happen in time for Q or not - that depends on upstream.

If any OpenMPI stakeholder needs or would like anything different for
OpenMPI on Ubuntu, please let me know. We can hold a session at UDS on
this if required, but we won't create a blueprint if there is nothing to
discuss.

Thanks,

Robie