Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
James Crow

Default kvm-spice no video in 12.04

Hello,

I posted on the Ubuntu-User list, but received no helpful replies.

I have a 12.04 amd64 desktop install that I am trying to use kvm-spice
to run a virtual Windows install. kvm is working fine and I have a
regular vnc guest (Windows XP) that is running. I tried to create a new
guest using kvm-spice as the hypervisor. I used an iso image and
allocated a 40GB image file. Once the image was created, the guest shows
as running, but I have no video in either the Virtual Machine Manager or
connecting with spicy.

Does anyone have a working kvm-spice install on 12.04?

Thank you,
James Crow

--
James Crow

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Serge Hallyn

Quoting James Crow (james@ultratans.com):
> Hello,
>
> I posted on the Ubuntu-User list, but received no helpful replies.
>
> I have a 12.04 amd64 desktop install that I am trying to use
> kvm-spice to run a virtual Windows install. kvm is working fine and
> I have a regular vnc guest (Windows XP) that is running. I tried to
> create a new guest using kvm-spice as the hypervisor. I used an iso
> image and allocated a 40GB image file. Once the image was created,
> the guest shows as running, but I have no video in either the
> Virtual Machine Manager or connecting with spicy.
>
> Does anyone have a working kvm-spice install on 12.04?

I've used it, yes. It does have problems, which is why it remains
a tech preview. (There are also concerns about where the package is
heading.) Make sure that you've added '-enable-kvm' to the arguments or
it'll run unaccelerated... The guest must support qxl. But the most
annoying thing has been that for instance grub screens aren't visible.

I've had working ubuntu+unity, kubuntu, and fedora installs under
kvm-spice. Sometimes when grub decides it doesn't want to boot
until I hit return, I just get a blank screen and I have to boot with
-vnc to get a clean boot.

Have you installed the SPICE client binaries in the windows guest?
See 'Windows client' under http://spice-space.org/download.html
(linking to http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/spice-client-win32-0.6.3.zip )
Perhaps you can boot with vnc, run the spicec.exe in there, and then
boot with spice? I don't know... haven't yet had a chance to try.

-serge

Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
James Crow

I posted on the Ubuntu-User list, but received no helpful replies.

I have a 12.04 amd64 desktop install that I am trying to use kvm-spice
to run a virtual Windows install. kvm is working fine and I have a
regular vnc guest (Windows XP) that is running. I tried to create a
new guest using kvm-spice as the hypervisor. I used an iso image and
allocated a 40GB image file. Once the image was created, the guest
shows as running, but I have no video in either the Virtual Machine
Manager or connecting with spicy.

Does anyone have a working kvm-spice install on 12.04?

Thank you,
James Crow

As a follow up, I have recreated the problem on 12.04 server. I have a
10.04 guest that I cloned. The clone was reconfigured to use qxl and
spice. In virt manager, there is no way to change the hypervisor from
kvm to kvm-spice. Using virsh I changed the hypervisor to kvm-spice and
started the guest.

As another test I left the hypervisor as kvm-spice and changed the video
back to vnc/cirrus. I was able to start the guest and view the console
without problem.

Testing other combinations, I found that video on cirrus and Display on
spice allowed me to connect to the guest with spicec.

It would appear that the problem is with the qxl backend rather than
kvm-spice. I now need to figure out how to get more logging out of kvm
with the qxl video device.

Thank you,
James Crow

Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM
James Crow

[...]

Serge,

Thanks for the note. The problem with spice/qxl is that I get absolutely
no video output. No BIOS, nothing. It is hard to tell if the guest is
even booting. I cloned a working 10.04 guest (server no X) that boots to
a login in a couple of seconds. I tried to ping its statically assigned
IP but it seemed to never boot. With no video output it is hard to tell
if the guest did boot.

-enable-kvm is one of the arguments passed to kvm-spice.

I guess my next attempt should be with a working Windows guest. I will
install the spice client libs with vnc and then convert.

Thank you,
James Crow

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Serge Hallyn

Quoting James Crow (james@ultratans.com):
> On 04/18/2012 04:42 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> >Quoting James Crow (james@ultratans.com):
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I posted on the Ubuntu-User list, but received no helpful replies.
> >>
> >>I have a 12.04 amd64 desktop install that I am trying to use
> >>kvm-spice to run a virtual Windows install. kvm is working fine and
> >>I have a regular vnc guest (Windows XP) that is running. I tried to
> >>create a new guest using kvm-spice as the hypervisor. I used an iso
> >>image and allocated a 40GB image file. Once the image was created,
> >>the guest shows as running, but I have no video in either the
> >>Virtual Machine Manager or connecting with spicy.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have a working kvm-spice install on 12.04?
> >I've used it, yes. It does have problems, which is why it remains
> >a tech preview. (There are also concerns about where the package is
> >heading.) Make sure that you've added '-enable-kvm' to the arguments or
> >it'll run unaccelerated... The guest must support qxl. But the most
> >annoying thing has been that for instance grub screens aren't visible.
> >
> >I've had working ubuntu+unity, kubuntu, and fedora installs under
> >kvm-spice. Sometimes when grub decides it doesn't want to boot
> >until I hit return, I just get a blank screen and I have to boot with
> >-vnc to get a clean boot.
> >
> >Have you installed the SPICE client binaries in the windows guest?
> >See 'Windows client' under http://spice-space.org/download.html
> >(linking to http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/spice-client-win32-0.6.3.zip )
> >Perhaps you can boot with vnc, run the spicec.exe in there, and then
> >boot with spice? I don't know... haven't yet had a chance to try.
> >
> >-serge
> Serge,
>
> Thanks for the note. The problem with spice/qxl is that I get
> absolutely no video output. No BIOS, nothing. It is hard to tell if
> the guest is even booting. I cloned a working 10.04 guest (server no
> X) that boots to a login in a couple of seconds. I tried to ping its
> statically assigned IP but it seemed to never boot. With no video
> output it is hard to tell if the guest did boot.

For what it's worth, I took an existing ubuntu server image (12.04
I believe) and booted it with

kvm-spice -drive file=preciseserv1.img,if=virtio,cache=none,index=0
-vga qxl -spice disable-ticketing,port=5930 -m 2048 -redir tcp:2222::22

when I did 'spicy -h localhost -p 5930' I got a blank screen. But
I could ssh in using 'ssh -p 2222 localhost'. So the host did come
up. I don't have a lucid guest handy - it's not impossible that it
somehow balks and refuses to boot. But like I say when I've had that
happen with precise guests, then when I boot through vnc i find that
grub is waiting for input (because of a prior unclean shutdown).

I can also still boot a ubuntu precise desktop iso with spice.

> -enable-kvm is one of the arguments passed to kvm-spice.
>
> I guess my next attempt should be with a working Windows guest. I
> will install the spice client libs with vnc and then convert.
>
> Thank you,
> James Crow

-serge