Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Peter Matulis

Default The Ubuntu Server Guide wants YOU!

Howdy folks!

The Precise edition of the Ubuntu Server guide has not received much
attention yet. The deadline (String Freeze) is March 22 so there is
still ample time for people to contribute by simply going through a few
sections and validating the existing instructions. Thanks in advance
for your time and effort.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide

--
Peter Matulis

Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Scott Kitterman

Since the server guide isn't shipped as a package in the archive, why would string freeze apply to it?

Scott K

Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Peter Matulis

On 12-03-05 08:23 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Since the server guide isn't shipped as a package in the archive, why would string freeze apply to it?

It's not strictly necessary but it was agreed during the last cycle that
doing so would help with translations.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2011-October/016216.html

--
Peter Matulis

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, March 05, 2012 08:53:41 AM Peter Matulis wrote:
> On 12-03-05 08:23 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Since the server guide isn't shipped as a package in the archive, why
> > would string freeze apply to it?
> It's not strictly necessary but it was agreed during the last cycle that
> doing so would help with translations.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2011-October/016216.html

How did that work out?

Most non-Canonical server users don't even consider server testing until after
Beta 1 and usually not Beta 2 (that's been the historical pattern). Since
there is essentially no non-string content to the server guide, applying
string freeze means the work has to be complete by string freeze.

If freezing garnered significant translations, it might be worth it, but if
not, I think it would be better to have a more complete server guide in at
least one language.

Scott K

Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Peter Matulis

On 12-03-05 09:01 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, March 05, 2012 08:53:41 AM Peter Matulis wrote:
>> On 12-03-05 08:23 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> Since the server guide isn't shipped as a package in the archive, why
>>> would string freeze apply to it?
>> It's not strictly necessary but it was agreed during the last cycle that
>> doing so would help with translations.
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2011-October/016216.html
>
> How did that work out?

Dunno. I don't keep on top of translations.

> Most non-Canonical server users don't even consider server testing until after
> Beta 1 and usually not Beta 2 (that's been the historical pattern). Since
> there is essentially no non-string content to the server guide, applying
> string freeze means the work has to be complete by string freeze.
>
> If freezing garnered significant translations, it might be worth it, but if
> not, I think it would be better to have a more complete server guide in at
> least one language.

I agree with you Scott.

It would be best to hear from some translations folks.

--
Peter Matulis

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
"Doug Smythies"

Hi,

I am new to this stuff, but have been monitoring the ubuntu-server list for
about 3 months now. I hope to join the server team.

I am very interested to help with the ubuntu server guide, and actually
spent time this last weekend trying to figure out what I have to do to be
able to help.
I have a couple of launchpad bugs entered about the server guide, that if I
could just do them myself would take a matter minutes, but I know would save
frustration for a person using the server guide as their reference. (I know
because of my own experience and because of questions I have helped with on
Ubuntu forums.)

Doug Smythies

Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Paul Graydon

The Precise edition of the Ubuntu Server guide has not received much
attention yet. The deadline (String Freeze) is March 22 so there is
still ample time for people to contribute by simply going through a few
sections and validating the existing instructions. Thanks in advance
for your time and effort.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide

There will be a huge update coming this week from me for the MySQL
section (should be finished tonight, job permitting)

Paul

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Paul Graydon

The Precise edition of the Ubuntu Server guide has not received much
attention yet. The deadline (String Freeze) is March 22 so there is
still ample time for people to contribute by simply going through a few
sections and validating the existing instructions. Thanks in advance
for your time and effort.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide

There will be a huge update coming this week from me for the MySQL
section (should be finished tonight, job permitting)
Thankfully I got a good break this evening. Final tweaks done and merge
proposed.

Paul

Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Bouchard Louis

Hello,

Le 05/03/2012 19:31, Paul Graydon a écrit :
> There will be a huge update coming this week from me for the MySQL
> section (should be finished tonight, job permitting)
>
> Paul

I am also planning on adding a section in "Chapter 2. Installation" called :

4.2. Kernel Crash Dump configuration

Please let me know if you think of a better place to put this one.

Kind regards,

...Louis
--
Louis Bouchard
Backline Support Analyst

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Peter Matulis

On 12-03-06 03:24 AM, Bouchard Louis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 05/03/2012 19:31, Paul Graydon a écrit :
>> There will be a huge update coming this week from me for the MySQL
>> section (should be finished tonight, job permitting)
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I am also planning on adding a section in "Chapter 2. Installation" called :
>
> 4.2. Kernel Crash Dump configuration
>
> Please let me know if you think of a better place to put this one.

Hi Louis. That would be a sweet contrib.

I'm not sure where you got '4.2' from. Maybe '2.5' (a new sub-chapter)
is better.