Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Nicholas Bamber

Default MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

I have been following this thead with interest and as it happens I have
been seeking to get more involved in Debian mysql. I emailed Norbert
Tretkowski though I did not get a reply. However I am not seeing my view
represented here.

First of all it may well be that MariaDB is better and has a more secure
future in the open source world than MySQL, and that therefore it should
be available in Debian.

But there are a number of reasons why I think MySQL should not be dropped.

1.) MySQL has brand recognition.

2.) Dropping MySQL would create fear and confusion in users of Debian
and users of downstream distributions.

3.) MariaDB will from time to time fall behind MySQL.

4.) MySQL will continue to be around for the forseeable future and its
core at least will be available on terms that technically are
packageable for Debian.

Furthermore I suggest that the cost and effort of one team maintaining
MySQL and MariaDB is a lot less than two separate teams maintaining both
since MariaDB could often be mined as a source of patches.

--
Nicholas Bamber | http://www.periapt.co.uk/
PGP key 3BFFE73C from pgp.mit.edu

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Axel Schwenke

Henrik Ingo wrote:

> For completeness, let me also defend Oracle for a change :-) There's
> also the 3rd option:
>
> * Stay with MySQL and blindly apply the updates that Oracle continues
> to release as GPL.

<snip>

> But to put things in context, in MySQL 5.0 series the situation was
> the opposite: The bugs were public but the publicly released and GPL
> licensed bug fixes would be up to 6 months delayd in favor of paying
> customers getting them instantly. In some ways, the current situation
> is still better than back then.

This is a very weird statement. Oracle does not release GPL versions more
often than MySQL AB did. In fact Oracle does not make any promise to ever
produce GPL bugfix releases. It's completely at their discretion.

But contrary to MySQL AB, Oracle

- does not have a public bug tracking system where one could find a
description of the bug

- does not publish patches alongside with the bug reports

- does not feed patches to publicly available source code trees in a timely
manner

For projects like Debian that build their own binaries and are not dependent
on complete releases (but rather a stream of patches) the current situation
with Oracle is clearly a step back.

XL