Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Alberto Fuentes

Default motd.tail renamed itself to motd.tail.old in all of my servers at the same time

suddenly all of my servers stopped showing /etc/motd.tail i noticed in
some of the it got renamed to motd.tail.old... after a few minutes, it
started working again.

I googled a little bit the issue without luck...

Does anybody know what happened?

greets!
aL

Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> suddenly all of my servers stopped showing /etc/motd.tail i noticed in some
> of the it got renamed to motd.tail.old... after a few minutes, it started
> working again.
>
> I googled a little bit the issue without luck...
>
> Does anybody know what happened?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> suddenly all of my servers stopped showing /etc/motd.tail i noticed in some
> of the it got renamed to motd.tail.old... after a few minutes, it started
> working again.
>
> I googled a little bit the issue without luck...
>
> Does anybody know what happened?

It's possible that you upgraded your base-files package from a version
older than 5.0.0ubuntu13. In its postinst script, it does:
if [ "$1" = "configure" ] && [ "$2" != "" ]; then
if [ -f /etc/motd.tail ]; then
if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt-nl 5.0.0ubuntu13; then
# motd.tail is no longer generated by this package;
# rather, the sysadmin can use motd.tail to append
# text to the pam_motd dynamically generated motd
mv -f /etc/motd.tail /etc/motd.tail.old
# Clear out old MOTD, will be regenerated on next login
rm -f /var/run/motd
fi
fi
fi