Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Mark Goldfinch

Default Xen in Hardy

Leandro,

Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva wrote:
> I think that Canonical's choice for KVM have already made it clear
> that they won't support Xen at least for a while.

I think Canonical's decision to support KVM reflects the level of
complexity involved between the two solutions..

Also given that Xen is moving closer to complete support within the
mainline kernel reflects a major milestone which KVM has already achieved..

I suspect Canonical just doesn't have the dedicated resources required
to do complete support of Xen within their support program. This isn't
necessarilly a reflection of their desire to support Xen, another
example would be Sun not having native support of Xen within customer
shipped versions of Solaris yet..

Thanks,
Mark.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

Mark,

Of course, of course... Maybe I sounded like I was criticizing
Canonical for that, but I wasn't. When your resources have some kind of
limit you have to make choices.

I'm also considering trying KVM on my solutions.

Cheers, Leandro.

--
Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva

Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 AM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

I don't know if everyone has seen, but there is a proposed patch for the hardy-xen-network problem here:

Apparently, it's due to a bug in netfront driver. People are reporting success with the fix provided by Takahito Hirano.
I'll test it here soon.

Cheers, Leandro.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Matthew Grant

Yep,

Been running Hardy Xen Dom0 here, solid as a rock, on top of gutsy
gibbon. I downloaded source and backported Xen. Just added patch
here, and recompiled, now DomU is running sweetly too!

I have been running Debian Etch 2.6.18 DomU (maintained source tree),
and also have a 2.6.25 paravirt Ops DomU working as well.

Here are few tips:

Hard drives are /dev/xvda1, /dev/xvda2 etc. Edit /etc/fstab
accordingly.

Console is /dev/xvc0 - Just edit /etc/inittab to run 1 getty on console,
and comment out all the rest, add console=xvc0 to 'extra' line in domain
config file in /etc/xen.

Also, install udev in your DomUs, and create a minimal /dev to go
underneath it on /dev so that you get console messages after init is
started. The console on the kernel config line will give you a console
while an initrd is loaded.

To get a linux 2.6.25 Xen kernel working, strip the vmlinux in the top
of the source tree after compile and compress:

$ strip vmlinux -o vmlinux-striped
$ gzip -c vmlinux-striped > vmlinuz

and use that as Xen kernel. xm create cannot load a staright bzImage
kernel yet.

Networking goes sweetly as I use my own network configuration package.

The Hard source is now on track!

Cheers,

Matthew Grant

PS: If you are wondering, I am a Debian Maintainer