Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Neal McBurnett

Default some new ubotu factoids useful in #ubuntu-server

Here (finally :-) for your review are some proposals for new ubotu
factoids for use in #ubuntu-server, as promissed in the server
roadmap.

Missing factoids:
* mail-server - Ubuntu provides mail client and mail server software off all kinds. See "mua" (Mail User Agent), "mta" (Mail Transfer Agent), and "mda" (Mail Delivery Agent) for more information.
* mua is an abbreviation for Mail User Agent. Examples include evolution, thunderbird and mutt. They are alternatives to programs like Windows Outlook. See also "mta" and "mda".
* mta is an abbreviation for Mail Transfer Agent. postfix is the default MTA for Ubuntu, and exim is also officially supported. See also "mua" and "mda".
* mda is an abbreviation for Mail Delivery Agent. dovecot is the default MDA for Ubuntu, and it can deliver mail via imap and pop.
* imap is a protocol for reading email. The officially-supported imap server in Ubuntu is dovecot.
* pop is a protocol for reading email. The officially-supported pop server in Ubuntu is dovecot
* nic is an abbreviation for Network Interface Card. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingHardwareDetection for help detecting cards and getting the right kernel driver module.
* ntp is an abbreviation for Network Time Protocol. Ubuntu uses it via the ntp package to keep clocks in sync.

There are a few more on the roadmap but this is a good start.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Roadmap

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Soren Hansen

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 08:48:00AM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Here (finally :-) for your review are some proposals for new ubotu
> factoids for use in #ubuntu-server, as promissed in the server
> roadmap.

W00t! Thanks for looking into this!

> * mta is an abbreviation for Mail Transfer Agent. postfix is the
> default MTA for Ubuntu, and exim is also officially supported. See
> also "mua" and "mda".

I think it would be useful to have this one specify how it differs from
an mda. (i.e. the prime purpose of an MTA is to take your mail and send
it elsewhere, while the mda's prime purpose is to deliver local mail
(and possibly filter into different mailboxes)).

> * mda is an abbreviation for Mail Delivery Agent. dovecot is the
> default MDA for Ubuntu, and it can deliver mail via imap and pop.

I don't believe this is correct. The MDA is the compontent that delivers
mail to the local users (i.e. takes the mail from the smtp server and
shoves it into mbox, Maildir or whatever). Dovecot does indeed include
an mda, but it's separate from its imap and pop capabilites. Postfix
works as a simple mda (this is our default), but can be told to use
procmail or dovecot-lda (or whatever it's called nowadays).

I wouldn't mind if dovecot's lda was our default mda, though. It takes
care of updating dovecot's indices when the mail is actually delivered
rather than at some random time later when dovecot feels like it.

> There are a few more on the roadmap but this is a good start.

It looks great. I wouldn't mind if you just added them. Changing them
after the fact is a lightweight process, afaik.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team

Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Neal McBurnett

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:02:06PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> > * mta is an abbreviation for Mail Transfer Agent. postfix is the
> > default MTA for Ubuntu, and exim is also officially supported. See
> > also "mua" and "mda".
>
> I think it would be useful to have this one specify how it differs from
> an mda. (i.e. the prime purpose of an MTA is to take your mail and send
> it elsewhere, while the mda's prime purpose is to deliver local mail
> (and possibly filter into different mailboxes)).

Right on. I've made this and other updates - see the latest at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Roadmap#head-1cc24b2ac1c3581dc666560f379b9edf2c6da595

I sent the first one to ubotu and am working with #ubuntu-ops on
approval.

I also proposed one for JeOS:

JeOS (pronounced "Juice") is Just enough Operating System. It is an
efficient variant of the Ubuntu Server operating system, configured
specifically for virtual appliances. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS for more information.

Ongoing input is welcome.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Nick Barcet

Neal McBurnett wrote:
> I also proposed one for JeOS:
>
> JeOS (pronounced "Juice") is Just enough Operating System. It is an
> efficient variant of the Ubuntu Server operating system, configured
> specifically for virtual appliances. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS for more information.

Great work Neal, thanks a lot. Now that JeOS has it's own page [1], we
could maybe direct users to it rather than to the tutorial directly?
The tutorial is referenced on that page.

Nick

[1]http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos

Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Karl Goetz

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 23:53 -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:02:06PM +0100, Soren Hansen wrote:
> > > * mta is an abbreviation for Mail Transfer Agent. postfix is the
> > > default MTA for Ubuntu, and exim is also officially supported. See
> > > also "mua" and "mda".
> >
> > I think it would be useful to have this one specify how it differs from
> > an mda. (i.e. the prime purpose of an MTA is to take your mail and send
> > it elsewhere, while the mda's prime purpose is to deliver local mail
> > (and possibly filter into different mailboxes)).
>
> Right on. I've made this and other updates - see the latest at
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Roadmap#head-1cc24b2ac1c3581dc666560f379b9edf2c6da595
>
> I sent the first one to ubotu and am working with #ubuntu-ops on
> approval.
>
> I also proposed one for JeOS:
>
> JeOS (pronounced "Juice") is Just enough Operating System. It is an
> efficient variant of the Ubuntu Server operating system, configured
> specifically for virtual appliances. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS for more information.
>
> Ongoing input is welcome.

I proposed one a few days ago, so more suggestions might make one
stick
kk

> Cheers,
>
> Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/
--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au

Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Neal McBurnett

As noted elsewhere, on Dec 10th these factoids went live, to help with
support on irc and for your ubotu-using-pleasure. I'd like to thank
LJL for great help and input.

mail server, smtp
mua, mta, mda
imap, pop, pop3
JeOS
nic == hardware
ntp
proxies (vs "proxy" which is historically used for tor/irc issues)

See also

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBots
http://bots.ubuntulinux.nl/factoids.cgi

Here is a proposal for ebox:

ebox is a web-based GUI interface for administering a server. It is
designed to work with Ubuntu/Debian style configuration management,
unlike webmin. See the plans for Hardy in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EboxSpec

Feedback?

Other possible factoids - feel free to suggest text:

inetd
openssl
msa and/or mra - see [WWW] http://wiki.mutt.org/?MailConcept

Feel free to jump in at