-   -   choosing desired os to boot over ssh (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/631529-choosing-desired-os-boot-over-ssh.html)

Tapas Mishra 02-11-2012 07:34 AM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

I have a machine which is multiple boot.For sysadmin kind of work I have to boot into different different Operating System's. Main Os is Ubuntu 11.10 with grub2.
Each time if I reboot then I want to be able to select desired operating system to boot while remotely logged in via ssh as we do when we are physically present on that machine by moving the up down arrow keys.I want to do some thing similar via ssh or if possible by some other protocol.
Is it possible some how.Is there any package available for the same?

Tapas Mishra 02-11-2012 07:39 AM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

I forgot to mention in previous message I do not want to be manually editing the grub.cfg file each time if I have to frequently switch between different OS.

Pandu Poluan 02-11-2012 09:09 AM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

Go here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

find grub-set-default and grub-reboot. These commands will be available if you set grub.cfg according to the procedure in the section.

Rgds,

Imre Gergely 02-11-2012 12:15 PM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

The problem is that there's no networking up at GRUB stage. You'll
probably need some KVM over IP or something.

No this is not what I want.I am aware of these options.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info [4]>

--

Links:
------

--
Imre Gergely
http://havaz.net

Neal McBurnett 02-11-2012 01:21 PM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

It seems to me that grub-reboot does what you asked for. You do have to modify /etc/default/grub *one time* to set the "saved" option, but after that you just quickly run grub-reboot before a reboot and it boots the one you picked, on just the next reboot. If on that boot, you DON'T run grub-reboot, it will reboot the time after that with your default, safe boot option. If you're worried about testing odd kernels and panics, you can also set a boot option like "panic=30" so it reboots into a safe kernel after a panic.

If that isn't what you wanted, can you clarify in more detail what you're looking for?

You could set up a serial console connected to a separate computer let you connect to it at boot time, but it is much more complicated and expensive.
I guess if you need to boot into OS's that don't use grub, a serial console boot would be more convenient than rebooting to the default one that does do grub, and then choosing the one you really want next via grub-reboot from there.

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/

Avi Greenbury 02-11-2012 01:21 PM

Tapas Mishra wrote:

> No this is not what I want.I am aware of these options.

That fits your requirements pretty well if you only have two systems to
choose from - run grub-reboot from init or something on the one that
controls grub and each reboot will boot into the other.

Otherwise I think that's the closest you'll get. To go between two
systems which don't control grub you'd need to reboot from one into a
system which does, then run grub-reboot, then reboot. Perhaps you could
install a tiny Linux for that purpose, one that boots within seconds?

--
Avi

Pandu Poluan 02-11-2012 02:30 PM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

Similar to Neal, I'm scratching my head as to exactly what @Tapas wanted...

The only other possibility would be to install a hypervisor (XenServer comes to mind) and access the VM's virtual console output using VNC or whatever the management app the hypervisor uses (XenCenter in case of XenServer). This will enable you to actually choose which OS to boot in the grub menu.

If that still doesn't answer your needs, then I give up :-P

PS: grub is actually capable of booting non-grub-using OS like Windows; you'll have to decipher the proper incantations for "chainloading" (plus all the complexities of juggling partitions - Windows its wickedly invasive and greedy in that regard), but it's doable.

Rgds,

Tapas Mishra 02-11-2012 04:52 PM

choosing desired os to boot over ssh

What I am looking for is some thing like a service console similar to IDRAC of Dell Power edge (if available for Ubuntu)or any software where in Wake On Lan with a special key combination can boot my desired OS.

> [...]

> * * * * editing the grub.cfg file each time if I have to frequently switch

> * * * * between different OS.

> * * * * On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com>

> * * * * wrote:

> * * * * * * I have a machine which is multiple boot.For sysadmin kind of work I

> * * * * * * have to boot into different different Operating System's. Main Os

> * * * * * * is Ubuntu 11.10 with grub2.

> * * * * * * Each time if I reboot then I want to be able to select desired

> * * * * * * operating system to boot while remotely logged in via ssh as we do

> * * * * * * when we are physically present on that machine by moving the up

> * * * * * * down arrow keys.I want to do some thing similar via ssh or if

> * * * * * * possible by some other protocol.

> * * * * * * Is it possible some how.Is there any package available for the

8960770858

Hakan Koseoglu 02-11-2012 06:20 PM

On 11 February 2012 17:52, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I am looking for is some thing like a service console similar to IDRAC
> of Dell Power edge (if available for Ubuntu)
> or any software where in Wake On Lan with a special key combination can boot
> my desired OS.
DRAC/ILO/Similar out-of-band management options are not software as
such, they are firmware which runs alongside, providing the user with
a network address and capabilities for remote access. Whey you are at
grub selection menu, there's no networking available yet. Look for
outside-grub solutions. As mentioned, you can always boot into a small
OS and initiate the next one. If all you have is a cheap off-the-shelf
desktop PC with no out of band management capability, try using a
networked KVM, there are stand-alone versions where you plug USB and
mouse and plug it into the switch and do a remote desktop / vnc into
it. If you have plenty of these desktop-servers, invest in a rackmount
networked KVM, they work pretty well.