-   -   Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/624383-should-we-set-vims-default-background-colorscheme-assume-dark.html)

Clint Byrum 01-23-2012 08:44 PM

Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

This bug was filed fairly recently:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907

I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.

I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.

This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.

The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.

I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.

Paul Graydon 01-23-2012 08:54 PM

[...]

I'd say yes to making dark default. It's something that's surprised me
early on when using Ubuntu post clean-install, but not enough to trigger
me to make a ticket about it.
I'm so used to doing the change now I don't think about it but it
probably would be of enough value.

Paul

Adon Metcalfe 01-23-2012 08:56 PM

Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

I'm all for it! its one of the customisations we apply (as well as setting up pathogen =)) to all of our Ubuntu and RHEL hosts.

Kind Regards,
Adon

I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light

background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.

I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least

on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.

This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before

FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in

case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.

The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in

the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background="">

I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users

of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would

possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.

Adon Metcalfe
Coordinator - Applications Solutions
IT Operations
Regional Services Division

Department of Environment and Conservation (WA)

17 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151 Postal address: Locked Bag 104 Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983

Serge Hallyn 01-23-2012 08:58 PM

Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

Quoting Clint Byrum (clint@ubuntu.com):
> This bug was filed fairly recently:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907
>
> I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
> background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.
>
> I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
> on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.
>
> This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
> FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
> case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.
>
> The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
> the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.
>
> I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
> of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
> possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.

+1

Darren Worrall 01-23-2012 08:59 PM

Evan Huus 01-23-2012 09:02 PM

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Clint Byrum <clint@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> This bug was filed fairly recently:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907
>
> I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
> background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.
>
> I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
> on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.
>
> This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
> FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
> case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.
>
> The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
> the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.
>
> I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
> of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
> possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.

+1 for the change.

As someone who uses Vim on Ubuntu almost every day, I didn't even know
this existed!

My eyes thank you, and I can't think of a reason why this doesn't make
sense as a default. Users who change the default terminal and use vim
on a regular basis have the kind of savvy necessary to change this
setting too.

Evan

"Fabio T. Leitao" 01-23-2012 11:01 PM

Should we set vim's default background colorscheme to assume dark?

I am sure it makes sense, but there is a chatch 22 here.
The thing is, when you are at vim with the background set to light, it is still pretty much readable on the dark terminal (we all see it, its the current default)... but the other way around (background set to dark on a light terminal) is pretty much a ticket to a headache and it gets really hard to read.

I use it mostly on the Terminal, but I also use gvim and its as light as it can be (white backgound). Test it for a little while in such other extreme situation. Maybe it can be set in vimrc to detect if you are at gvim (not sure how it would work, is there a gvimrc?) and work with the light background while changing the default to dark.

Yet, it would only take the same amount of tweaking to put it back to light if that is what the the end user would want.
Make sure its well documented, including the reason for the change, and how to revert it, and I see no problem with the change.

[...]

Fábio Leitão
..-. .- -... .. ---* .-.. . .. - .- ---* ...-.-

Stefan Bader 01-24-2012 07:52 AM

On 23.01.2012 22:44, Clint Byrum wrote:
> This bug was filed fairly recently:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/871907
>
> I tend to think that its a bit confusing why we default to a light
> background setting in vim, when our default terminals all are dark.
>
> I have not checked on any of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but at least
> on our main desktop configuration, all terminals have a dark background.
>
> This seems like a no-brainer, so I was thinking of uploading a fix before
> FeatureFreeze, but I wanted to open up the discussion a bit wider in
> case there are people who feel that this might be too radical of a change.
>
> The change would be simple.. vim defaults to a light background, so in
> the default vimrc for precise, we'd change it to have background=dark.
>
> I have CC'd ubuntu-server, because I'm certain there are a lot of users
> of non-Ubuntu desktop platforms who ssh into Ubuntu servers, and would
> possibly be affected by this, whether negatively or positively.

Maybe only making a little difference, but surprisingly Colin found that the
more light colours there are on the screen, the lesser power is consumed[1]. ;)
Of course only on the machine displaying the screen if it is actually a laptop...

-Stefan

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagement/PowerSavingTweaks