Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Default VM complaining: consider bios upgrade...

Dear all,

On one of my windows Vms (KVM), I get from time to
time a 'windows recovered from a serious error' message, and if I click
the wonderfully useful (ahum) support link, I reach this page:

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1445/en/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=67dba5c9-dc73-4bb8-8065-512ebd1c74ac

I quote the first part of it here:

"Consider BIOS upgrade

Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However,
this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random
access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer
uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS)
version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central
processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on
your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an
older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the
installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your
computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version
of BIOS for your computer's processor."

Now I'm not sure what this is all about: how can I possibly upgrade my
VM's BIOS, or should I do something else? ¬*Can
it have something to do with the processor specs in the VM's XML definition?

Thanks for looking into this,

J√ľrgen

<domain type='kvm'>

¬* <name>SEPLET</name>

¬* <uuid>b0b25881-f021-962b-eaa9-a9f63b14cde2</uuid>

¬* <memory>2097152</memory>

¬* <currentMemory>2097152</currentMemory>

¬* <vcpu>2</vcpu>

¬* <os>

¬* ¬* <type arch='x86_64'
machine='pc-0.12'>hvm</type>

¬* ¬* <boot dev='hd'/>

¬* </os>

¬* <features>

¬* ¬* <acpi/>

¬* ¬* <apic/>

¬* ¬* <pae/>

¬* </features>

¬* <clock offset='localtime'/>

¬* <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>

¬* <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>

¬* <on_crash>restart</on_crash>

¬* <devices>

¬* ¬* <emulator>/usr/bin/kvm</emulator>

¬* ¬* <disk type='file' device='disk'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <driver name='qemu'
type='qcow2'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/NFSVM/SEPLET.img'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <target dev='hda'
bus='ide'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='drive'
controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>

¬* ¬* </disk>

¬* ¬* <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <driver name='qemu'
type='raw'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/nfs-pool3/WINXPPROSP3ENG.iso'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <target dev='hdc'
bus='ide'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <readonly/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='drive'
controller='0' bus='1' unit='0'/>

¬* ¬* </disk>

¬* ¬* <controller type='ide'
index='0'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='pci'
domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>

¬* ¬* </controller>

¬* ¬* <interface type='bridge'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <mac address='52:54:00:6d:a8:73'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <source bridge='br0'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <target dev='vnet3'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <model type='virtio'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='pci'
domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>

¬* ¬* </interface>

¬* ¬* <serial type='pty'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <target port='0'/>

¬* ¬* </serial>

¬* ¬* <console type='pty'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <target type='serial'
port='0'/>

¬* ¬* </console>

¬* ¬* <input type='tablet'
bus='usb'>

¬* ¬* </input>

¬* ¬* <input type='mouse'
bus='ps2'/>

¬* ¬* <graphics type='vnc'
port='-1' autoport='yes'/>

¬* ¬* <video>

¬* ¬* ¬* <model type='vga'
vram='9216' heads='1'/>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='pci'
domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>

¬* ¬* </video>

¬* ¬* <memballoon model='virtio'>

¬* ¬* ¬* <address type='pci'
domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>

¬* ¬* </memballoon>

¬* </devices>

¬* <seclabel type='dynamic' model='apparmor'/>

</domain>

Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Serge Hallyn

Quoting jurgen.depicker@let.be (jurgen.depicker@let.be):
> Dear all,
>
> On one of my windows Vms (KVM), I get from time to time a 'windows
> recovered from a serious error' message, and if I click the wonderfully
> useful (ahum) support link, I reach this page:
> http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1445/en/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=67dba5c9-dc73-4bb8-8065-512ebd1c74ac
>
> I quote the first part of it here:
>
> "Consider BIOS upgrade
>
> Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However,
> this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random
> access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer
> uses to run programs and store data.

Do you get any crashes before you see this? Does it happen at startup?
I wonder if perhaps qemu is not shutting down cleanly, or you are hitting
a KSM bug, or you in fact have bad ram.

> During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS)
> version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central
> processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on
> your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an
> older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the
> installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your
> computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version
> of BIOS for your computer's processor."
>

> Now I'm not sure what this is all about: how can I possibly upgrade my
> VM's BIOS, or should I do something else? Can it have something to do
> with the processor specs in the VM's XML definition?

Odd, I've never heard of this Which version of windows are you using,
and which Ubuntu release are you on? The bios is just seabios, and should
be tightly integrated into the qemu version, so upgrading is generally not
recommended, but in any case upgrading seabios still wouldn't likely get you
anything Microsoft would know about.

-serge

Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 AM
"Fabio T. Leitao"

During the Ubuntu boot, if you get to see a Grub menu (with kernel options, etc), can you try to run the Memtest86+ option (that will automaticaly go into a blueish program with lots of information on the several RAM tests it will start to run... and leave it running until it says it has completed at least 2 PASS)¬*

If you have got some bad RAM, it will most certainly accuse (and some how, your Linux host have not been using the faultly address recently) - hardware do crash also... - and the message on Memtest86+ will be PRETTY OBVIOUS (RED CAPITAL LETTERS WITH A BUNCH OF HEXADECIMAL MEMORY ADDRESSES)

If you have no bad RAM, with will also list a short 0 ERRORS somewhere in the middled/right side of the screen
To exit the Memtest86+, anytime during the tests, just press ESC, and your computer should reboot (and hopefully back to OS)

If you do have a faulty RAM, try removing a DIMM (that are the name of the RAM boards) a time, and test the rest again until you are sure there ones installed are fully operational... you might need to buy another RAM if you do find any broken ones

2011/11/23 Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@canonical.com>

Quoting jurgen.depicker@let.be (jurgen.depicker@let.be):

> Dear all,

> On one of my windows Vms (KVM), I get from time to time a 'windows

> recovered from a serious error' message, and if I click the wonderfully

> useful (ahum) support link, I reach this page:

> http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/1445/en/5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0?SGD=67dba5c9-dc73-4bb8-8065-512ebd1c74ac

> I quote the first part of it here:

> "Consider BIOS upgrade

> Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However,

> this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random

> access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer

> uses to run programs and store data.

Do you get any crashes before you see this? ¬*Does it happen at startup?

I wonder if perhaps qemu is not shutting down cleanly, or you are hitting

a KSM bug, or you in fact have bad ram.

> During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output system (BIOS)

> version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central

> processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on

> your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an

> older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the

> installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your

> computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version

> of BIOS for your computer's processor."

> Now I'm not sure what this is all about: how can I possibly upgrade my

> VM's BIOS, or should I do something else? ¬*Can it have something to do

> with the processor specs in the VM's XML definition?

Odd, I've never heard of this ¬*Which version of windows are you using,

and which Ubuntu release are you on? ¬*The bios is just seabios, and should

be tightly integrated into the qemu version, so upgrading is generally not

recommended, but in any case upgrading seabios still wouldn't likely get you

anything Microsoft would know about.

-serge

F√°bio Leit√£o

Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Serge Hallyn

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't have any further offhand ideas, and noone else on
this list seems to, so I'd recommend opening a bug on launchpad. BTW,
your attachments didn't seem to be readable, so please do attach them
to the bug. I can then try to reproduce with winxp3.

thanks,
-serge