-   -   Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/600007-ubuntu-server-guide-weak-areas-missing-pieces.html)

Peter Matulis 11-18-2011 03:43 PM

On 11-11-18 11:13 AM, Hugo Serrano wrote:
> On 18-11-2011 15:59, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> I don't feel the Guide is the place to document upgrade paths& issues.
>>> Isn't that something that is traditionally reserved for Release Notes?
>>> Also, is it natural for us to expect people to read the new Guide
>>> before upgrading? Just my thoughts.

>> I think this is a bit of a special case since the product in question
>> went away in the mean time.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'went away'; Eucalyptus will still be in
the repositories. So far it doesn't look like there will be much of an
upgrade.

eucalyptus | 2.0.1+bzr1256-0ubuntu8 | oneiric/universe | source
eucalyptus | 2.0.1+bzr1256-0ubuntu8 | precise/universe | source

>> If they do look ahead in the server guide
>> then having it just vanish as a topic doesn't seem right.

I guess it depends on what we want the Guide to be.

>> There should be something in the release notes too.
>>
>> Scott K
>>
> I agree with Peter, but also agree with Scott. Probably a note with all
> the software that it won't be supported any more.

If by 'not supported' you mean not supported by the security team due to
it not being in 'main' then be aware that there are already topics
covered in the Guide that are not supported (ex: phpmyadmin, mediawiki,
other?).

--
Peter Matulis

Paul Graydon 11-18-2011 05:48 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces