-   -   Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/599974-ubuntu-server-guide-weak-areas-missing-pieces.html)

Peter Matulis 11-18-2011 02:19 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces

Hi everyone.

For this important LTS cycle I wanted to get some fresh ideas concerning
the Ubuntu Server Guide [1]. In particular, right now it would be great
if people could give their thoughts on:

1. What parts of the Guide need more attention (weak areas)

and

2. What are some of the missing pieces

For the latter, I've already identified the glaring omissions of
Openstack, Juju, and Orchestra.

Secondly, and I vaguely remember a discussion about this on a mailing
list, I'm not sure we should be including Eucalyptus docs in the Guide
anymore as Openstack is quickly becoming the dominant force for the
cloud on Ubuntu. People can obviously continue to use the older release
Server Guides. Comments?

I will be sending out a separate post where I will be asking for
reviewers and contributors for the Guide. Stay tuned.

Thanks for listening.

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/11.10/serverguide/C/index.html

--
Peter Matulis
Driver for Ubuntu Server Guide - Precise cycle

"Peter M. Petrakis" 11-18-2011 02:34 PM

On 11/18/2011 10:19 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> For this important LTS cycle I wanted to get some fresh ideas concerning
> the Ubuntu Server Guide [1]. In particular, right now it would be great
> if people could give their thoughts on:
>
> 1. What parts of the Guide need more attention (weak areas)

> and
>
> 2. What are some of the missing pieces

Storage: I'd like to contribute topics concerning LVM, MD, and Multipath.
Also document deploying "stacked" solutions e.g. LVM backed by MD or MP.
The scope of the contribution will depend on resolving the licensing
issue I just raised here.

Scott Kitterman 11-18-2011 02:38 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide - weak areas and missing pieces

On 11/18/2011 10:19 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
> Secondly, and I vaguely remember a discussion about this on a mailing
> list, I'm not sure we should be including Eucalyptus docs in the Guide
> anymore as Openstack is quickly becoming the dominant force for the
> cloud on Ubuntu. People can obviously continue to use the older release
> Server Guides. Comments?

The thing that I think is important is to document the upgrade path for
10.04 -> 12.04 UEC users from an Ubuntu specific UEC configuration to an
upstream (consult the upstream docs) Eucalyptus configuration. That may
be as simple as explaining UEC is dead so just know when you upgrade
it'll work but it's no longer called UEC or something more complex.

Scott K

Peter Matulis 11-18-2011 02:49 PM

On 11-11-18 10:38 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 10:19 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
>> Secondly, and I vaguely remember a discussion about this on a mailing
>> list, I'm not sure we should be including Eucalyptus docs in the Guide
>> anymore as Openstack is quickly becoming the dominant force for the
>> cloud on Ubuntu. People can obviously continue to use the older release
>> Server Guides. Comments?
>
> The thing that I think is important is to document the upgrade path for
> 10.04 -> 12.04 UEC users from an Ubuntu specific UEC configuration to an
> upstream (consult the upstream docs) Eucalyptus configuration. That may
> be as simple as explaining UEC is dead so just know when you upgrade
> it'll work but it's no longer called UEC or something more complex.

I don't feel the Guide is the place to document upgrade paths & issues.
Isn't that something that is traditionally reserved for Release Notes?
Also, is it natural for us to expect people to read the new Guide
before upgrading? Just my thoughts.

--
Peter Matulis

Scott Kitterman 11-18-2011 02:59 PM

On 11/18/2011 10:49 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
> On 11-11-18 10:38 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On 11/18/2011 10:19 AM, Peter Matulis wrote:
>>> Secondly, and I vaguely remember a discussion about this on a mailing
>>> list, I'm not sure we should be including Eucalyptus docs in the Guide
>>> anymore as Openstack is quickly becoming the dominant force for the
>>> cloud on Ubuntu. People can obviously continue to use the older release
>>> Server Guides. Comments?
>>
>> The thing that I think is important is to document the upgrade path for
>> 10.04 -> 12.04 UEC users from an Ubuntu specific UEC configuration to an
>> upstream (consult the upstream docs) Eucalyptus configuration. That may
>> be as simple as explaining UEC is dead so just know when you upgrade
>> it'll work but it's no longer called UEC or something more complex.
>
> I don't feel the Guide is the place to document upgrade paths & issues.
> Isn't that something that is traditionally reserved for Release Notes?
> Also, is it natural for us to expect people to read the new Guide
> before upgrading? Just my thoughts.

I think this is a bit of a special case since the product in question
went away in the mean time. If they do look ahead in the server guide
then having it just vanish as a topic doesn't seem right.

There should be something in the release notes too.

Scott K

Hugo Serrano 11-18-2011 03:13 PM

[...]

I agree with Peter, but also agree with Scott. Probably a note with all
the software that it won't be supported any more.

I suggest some guide to nginx. It seems that it's starting to showing up!

Maybe it's not the right place, because it's more a service of the
Desktop Version, but the LTSP should be somewhere around too.

Best Regards!

Hugo Serrano.

--
Hugo Serrano
hugo.serrano@javali.pt

Javali
Administração e Desenvolvimento de Sistemas Informáticos, Lda.
Madan Parque
Rua dos Inventores
2825 - 182 Caparica Portugal
Phone: +351 212957215 Fax: +351 213620787
www.javali.pt info@javali.pt

Scott Kitterman 11-18-2011 03:18 PM

On 11/18/2011 11:13 AM, Hugo Serrano wrote:
> On 18-11-2011 15:59, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> I don't feel the Guide is the place to document upgrade paths& issues.
>>> Isn't that something that is traditionally reserved for Release Notes?
>>> Also, is it natural for us to expect people to read the new Guide
>>> before upgrading? Just my thoughts.
>> I think this is a bit of a special case since the product in question
>> went away in the mean time. If they do look ahead in the server guide
>> then having it just vanish as a topic doesn't seem right.
>>
>> There should be something in the release notes too.
>>
>> Scott K
>>
> I agree with Peter, but also agree with Scott. Probably a note with all
> the software that it won't be supported any more.
>
> I suggest some guide to nginx. It seems that it's starting to showing up!
>
> Maybe it's not the right place, because it's more a service of the
> Desktop Version, but the LTSP should be somewhere around too.

Edubuntu ships and uses LTSP by default, so that work could be
coordinated with them. I don't know if they have any docs already.

Scott K