Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Jesus arteche

Default bash command

Hey guys,
I want to create *a script to change some words in some sonf files at the start up of the system...do you know the command in bash for search the word and replace it??

Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Jesus arteche

Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Raf Czlonka

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:29:35AM BST, Jesus arteche wrote:
> I want to create a script to change some words in some sonf files at the
> start up of the system...do you know the command in bash for search the word
> and replace it??

You don't need bash for it, sed's your friend, e.g.:

% sed -i 's/old_word/new_word/' /etc/conf.file

I highly recommend.

% man sed

Raf

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
kuLa

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Teemu Likonen

* 2011-10-20T09:29:35+01:00 * Jesus arteche wrote:

> I want to create a script to change some words in some sonf files at
> the start up of the system...do you know the command in bash for
> search the word and replace it??

Sounds like you need "sed" command and its s/.../.../ command. Probably
sed's --in-place option will be useful.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Paul Graydon

I want to create *a script to change some words in some sonf
files at the start up of the system...do you know the command in
bash for search the word and replace it??

Thanks

You're looking for 'sed'.* It's very powerful and exceptionally
useful.* In it's roughest form you can do straight text
substitution:

sed -i.bkp 's/foo/bar/g'* file.name

That will replace all instances of foo with bar wherever they occur
in the file, and leave you with a filename.bkp backup copy of the
unaltered config (-i = in-place edit)

You can read about sed here: http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/x22860.html

If you're going to be spending time using Linux, I would strongly
recommend taking the time to learn sed, and specifically how to form
'Regular Expressions' (used text pattern matching).* It may take a
bit of effort to get your head around it initially but the rewards
are significant in what it then allows you to do.* http://www.regular-expressions.info/

Paul

Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:36:50AM +0100, Raf Czlonka wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 09:29:35AM BST, Jesus arteche wrote:
> > I want to create a script to change some words in some sonf files at the
> > start up of the system...do you know the command in bash for search the word
> > and replace it??
>
> You don't need bash for it, sed's your friend, e.g.:
>
> % sed -i 's/old_word/new_word/' /etc/conf.file

Proving that TIMTOWTDI (or, "You don't need sed for it, bash's your
friend):

while read line; do
echo ${line/old_word/new_word}
done < /etc/conf.file > /etc/conf.file.new

Sadly, this can't be done in-place, so you'll either need to use mv to
replace /etc/conf.file with /etc/conf.file.new or repeat the loop (with
no substitution) to copy /etc/conf.file.new into /etc/conf.file.

By the way, I don't recommend this method. sed IS your friend, but bash
IS capable and that's what you asked for

--
Darac Marjal

Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Arno Schuring

kuLa (debian@kulisz.net on 2011-10-20 09:37 +0100):
> On 20/10/11 09:29, Jesus arteche wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I want to create a script to change some words in some sonf files
> > at the start up of the system...do you know the command in bash for
> > search the word and replace it??
>
> Well, I don't know about bash command but I know about sed.

Theoretically it's possible with bash (>=3) as well:
$ VAR=oldword
$ echo $VAR
oldword
$ echo ${VAR/old/new}
newword

And use a read loop over all the lines in the file

Regards,
Arno

Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Michael DeBruyn

I want to create *a script to change some words in some sonf
files at the start up of the system...do you know the command in
bash for search the word and replace it??

Thanks

You will want to use something like sed.* An example:

sed -i "s/oldword/newword/g" /some/script.sh

This will replace all instances of oldword with newword in the file
script.sh

If you want to do this at system boot you can put it in
/etc/rc.local

-Mike

Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Arnaud Soyez

I want to create *a script to change some words in some sonf
files at the start up of the system...do you know the command in
bash for search the word and replace it??

Thanks

You will want to use something like sed.* An example:

sed -i "s/oldword/newword/g" /some/script.sh

This will replace all instances of oldword with newword in the file
script.sh

If you want to do this at system boot you can put it in
/etc/rc.local

-Mike

Note that you can also select a specific line using:

sed -i "234s/oldword/newword/g" /some/script.sh

to only replace "oldword" with "newword" on line 234, otherwise this would replace all occurences in the given file.

See the "Addresses" section of `man sed`.