Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
"Aaron C. de Bruyn"

Default Server directory

I can't speak to the other questions, but I would be careful about
having your server in a data center and your clients in an office
unless you have a fairly high speed connection between the two--or you
have a second 'local' server.
Windows clients don't perform too well (at least Windows XP doesn't)
when there is no local domain controller.

We tested this situation on a network where there was a 5 Mbit/sec
link between a remote and main office with approximately 80 msec
latency. There were 5 clients on the remote side of the link. It was
terribly slow accessing network resources like printers, file shares,
etc... Even when accessing local resources that involved domain
permissions it was significantly slower. We ended up putting a local
DC at each remote site which is what Microsoft actually recommends
IIRC.

-A

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

On 10/18/2011 05:54 AM, Jesus arteche wrote:
> Hey guys,

Hi

> I have several questions about that...
>
> - Do you know if I could migrate windows NT server (directory server) to
> some LDAP based service in Ubuntu?

Sure, Windows NT it is CIFS/SMB + NTLM, you can emulate a NT domain
server using Samba using it own database backend (TDBM), or you can
store samba domain info in a LDAP Directory which is more common, using
LDAP as a backend you can even install BDC.

Check the samba official howtos for the tools to migrate (hint vampire)

Windows domains based on 2000> it is another story, they incorporate
kerberos on top of all the protocols + DNS. Samba4 will support Active
directory domains. This samba version is still beta, I hope the next
year will be ready.

> - Could I have my server in a Datacenter, and the windows clients in the
> office, in other subnet??

Sure, using VPN

> - Do you know some LDAP based service easy to install on Ubuntu?

I have a manual in spanish:

http://tuxjm.net/docs/Configurar_Servidor_Controlador_de_Dominio_con_Sam ba_y_OpenLDAP/Ubuntu/html-multiples/

Best regards.

--