Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
"Michael Behrens"

Default Forum Poll Questions

Hi Team,

I have been giving thought to poll questions which could generate useful data for us as a team.* I have listed what I have
throught out so far.* I would appreciate the groups input, both on format and as well on the questions themselves.* In addition,

if you think there should be more questions, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.

The information we get from the poll should help us identify much more readily areas in the community where we can
focus out attentions as well as giving us information about operational use of the Server Edition.

Michael
/ faulkes-

Dear Forum Members,

*** In an effort to better understand, support and further the Ubuntu Server Edition we would like to ask you to take this short poll.* The information provided will help us determine where we can improve support, where to add additional resources and to generate a better understanding of the community which we work within.

*** Please note that this survey is being conducted by the Ubuntu Server Team.* Information about the team is available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/

1. How many servers do you operate which run Ubuntu Server Edition?

*** 1-10
*** 11-20
*** 21-50
*** 51-100
*** 100+

2. Are your servers used at home or at work?
*** Work
*** Both

3. What services run on these servers (check all that apply)?

*** Mail
*** ClamAV / Other Virus Scanner
*** DNS
*** LDAP
*** Samba
*** Database (MySQL / Postgres / Oracle etc.)
*** Apache (or other httpd impelementation)
*** LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP)
*** FTP

*** Backups (Amanda / BackUP PC / Bacula etc.)
*** Firewall (Acts as a primary firewall/gateway to a network)
*** LTSP (Linux Terminal Server)
*** Virtualization (VMware, KVM, Qemu, etc)
*** DHCP
*** Media Server / Processing

*** Other

4. Which Server Edition version do you use (Check all that apply)?
*** 8.04
*** 7.10
*** 7.04
*** 6.10
*** 6.06
***
5. Do you plan to deploy additional ubuntu based servers in the future?

*** Yes
*** No
*** Undecided

6. If Yes to question 5, do you have a timeframe for doing so?
*** 1 month
*** 3 months
*** 6 months
*** 1 year

7. What methods of community support have you accessed? (Check all that apply)

*** Ubuntu Forums
*** IRC (irc.freenode.net)
*** Mailing Lists
*** Ubuntu Wiki
*** Other Linux related sites

8. If you have used the above support methods to solve a problem, did you receive a solution?

*** Yes
*** Sometimes
*** No

9. Which type of hardware do you run Ubuntu Server Edition on?
*** Tower / Desktop PC
*** Dell Server(s)
*** HP/Compaq Servers(s)
*** IBM Server(s)
*** Custom Server(s)

*** Virtualization
*** Other

Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Nick Barcet

Hello Michael,

Michael Behrens wrote:
> I have been giving thought to poll questions which could generate useful
> data for us as a team. I have listed what I have
> throught out so far. I would appreciate the groups input, both on
> format and as well on the questions themselves. In addition,
> if you think there should be more questions, I would certainly
> appreciate hearing from you.
>
> The information we get from the poll should help us identify much more
> readily areas in the community where we can
> focus out attentions as well as giving us information about operational
> use of the Server Edition.

This is an excellent idea on which I have been working a bit. I propose
that we join forces on defining the questions by setting up a wiki for
it [1].

I also have identified lime-survey as being an appropriate tool to run
this survey, but am open to other suggestion...

Thanks a lot,
Nick

[1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Survey