Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Mark Dokter

Default booting oneiric in xen hvm domU

Hello!

I tried to install an Ubuntu Oneiric xen domU with the beta1 iso, daily
iso and netboot (also daily and beta1).

All images require xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary as kernel boot parameter
to see disks and network devices in the domU.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour? I was wondering because on [1] it is
a line that says "[zulcss] Test xen hvm CD install on amd64: DONE"

My testing was done on a oneiric 64bit dom0.

kind regards,

Mark

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-o-xen-host

Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Stefan Bader

On 19.09.2011 21:17, Mark Dokter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I tried to install an Ubuntu Oneiric xen domU with the beta1 iso, daily
> iso and netboot (also daily and beta1).
>
> All images require xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary as kernel boot parameter
> to see disks and network devices in the domU.
>
> Can anybody confirm this behaviour? I was wondering because on [1] it is
> a line that says "[zulcss] Test xen hvm CD install on amd64: DONE"
>
> My testing was done on a oneiric 64bit dom0.
>
> kind regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1]
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-o-xen-host

That sort of is normal and depends on the guest. Except the virtual kernel, all
other kernels have the blockfront and netfront drivers only compiled as a
module. If one wants to use them, then those need to go into the list of early
loaded modules. Or as with the argument, xen gets told to keep the emulated disk
and network devices.
But it would be worth documenting this at least in the release notes, I guess.

Note, that emulated net seems still have some issues under load the last time I
looked.

-Stefan

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Mark Dokter

On 09/20/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

> That sort of is normal and depends on the guest. Except the virtual kernel, all
> other kernels have the blockfront and netfront drivers only compiled as a
> module. If one wants to use them, then those need to go into the list of early
> loaded modules. Or as with the argument, xen gets told to keep the emulated disk
> and network devices.
> But it would be worth documenting this at least in the release notes, I guess.

How early is early ? I guess the modules are in the initrd, since I can
drop to a shell and load them. But this doesn't reveal disks/nics.

> Note, that emulated net seems still have some issues under load the last time I
> looked.

Yes I can unfortunately confirm that I tried to install ubuntu
several times and luckily it succeeded at *sometime*. Most of the time
the install process died when downloading additional debs.

> -Stefan

Mark

Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Stefan Bader

On 21.09.2011 12:56, Mark Dokter wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>

>> That sort of is normal and depends on the guest. Except the virtual kernel, all
>> other kernels have the blockfront and netfront drivers only compiled as a
>> module. If one wants to use them, then those need to go into the list of early
>> loaded modules. Or as with the argument, xen gets told to keep the emulated disk
>> and network devices.
>> But it would be worth documenting this at least in the release notes, I guess.
>>

> How early is early ? I guess the modules are in the initrd, since I can
> drop to a shell and load them. But this doesn't reveal disks/nics.

In theory I would expect things to work when either loaded from the shell or the
required module names being placed into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
However when I tried now, it does not seem to work. I really think it had been
working, but that may have been back with xen-4.1.0. Moving to 4.1.1 seems to
have bought a few undesirable "features"... :/

-Stefan

Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Mark Dokter

On 9/21/11 2:19 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 21.09.2011 12:56, Mark Dokter wrote:
>> On 09/20/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>

>>> That sort of is normal and depends on the guest. Except the virtual kernel, all
>>> other kernels have the blockfront and netfront drivers only compiled as a
>>> module. If one wants to use them, then those need to go into the list of early
>>> loaded modules. Or as with the argument, xen gets told to keep the emulated disk
>>> and network devices.
>>> But it would be worth documenting this at least in the release notes, I guess.
>>>

>> How early is early ? I guess the modules are in the initrd, since I can
>> drop to a shell and load them. But this doesn't reveal disks/nics.
>>

> In theory I would expect things to work when either loaded from the shell or the
> required module names being placed into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
> However when I tried now, it does not seem to work. I really think it had been
> working, but that may have been back with xen-4.1.0. Moving to 4.1.1 seems to
> have bought a few undesirable "features"... :/

I just checked /boot/config-3.0.0-11-server and I guess the combination
of CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m and xen-platform-pci.ko not being in the
initrd cause the devices to not appear. I come to this conclusion since
installing with the xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary (or 'never' does
effectively the same thing in this situation) and then changing to pv
drivers by putting xen-platform-pci, xen-blkfront and xen-netfront in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules works (mostly, but thats a different story...).

> -Stefan
>
>>> Note, that emulated net seems still have some issues under load the last time I
>>> looked.

So the e1000 model works better? (read your inquiry about that on
xen-devel *g*)

cheers,
Mark

Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Stefan Bader

On 21.09.2011 23:32, Mark Dokter wrote:
> On 9/21/11 2:19 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> How early is early ? I guess the modules are in the initrd, since I can
>>> drop to a shell and load them. But this doesn't reveal disks/nics.
>>>

>> In theory I would expect things to work when either loaded from the shell or the
>> required module names being placed into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
>> However when I tried now, it does not seem to work. I really think it had been
>> working, but that may have been back with xen-4.1.0. Moving to 4.1.1 seems to
>> have bought a few undesirable "features"... :/
>>

> I just checked /boot/config-3.0.0-11-server and I guess the combination
> of CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m and xen-platform-pci.ko not being in the
> initrd cause the devices to not appear. I come to this conclusion since
> installing with the xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary (or 'never' does
> effectively the same thing in this situation) and then changing to pv
> drivers by putting xen-platform-pci, xen-blkfront and xen-netfront in
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules works (mostly, but thats a different story...).

The feedback there was to my understanding one should never get pv drives. Which
sounds odd. Especially when the default is: oh you have pci platform _and_ pv
drivers, then I throw away the emulated devices. In that case you would want the
pv devices to be used. And the modules are in the initrd for me. It is the fact
that both are compiled (module or not does not matter).

>> -Stefan

> So the e1000 model works better? (read your inquiry about that on
> xen-devel *g*)

It does, as a quick workaround. And disabling the event based interrupts makes
the default 8139cp work as expected again.