Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default mails from list are coming with warning on gmail

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 September 2011 17:07, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> All the mails coming from Ubuntu users mailing list (this one) are
>> coming to my mail box with a warning from gmail.
>> The warning is
>>
>> "This message may not have been sent by: user@gmail.com *Learn more
>> Report phishing "
>>

>> Where the address user@gmail.com is some one who posted question to the list.
>> Some one who is moderating this list please have a look.

> I've been told it's not going to be a quick fix either but at least
> they are aware of it and working towards a solution.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Some additional help from my side which you can forward to the
concerned staff.(Not sure if this exactly is the case hoping that this
might be the case)

here is the header at my end http://pastebin.com/Q5Hut1pD
this is a header which is from mail which came as response

Gmail signed Jared Norris' mail with DKIM when he sent it; the mailing
list modified the headers (and maybe the body too); gmail got the
message from the mailing list, tried to verify the DKIM signature and
verification failed. Since it's modifying messages, the mailing list
software on ubuntu.com should be configured to strip DKIM signature
headers, and maybe to add their own signature.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Tapas Mishra

Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Sven Aluoor

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up, it has been reported to the Canonical
> staff running the mailing lists a couple of weeks ago. It is across
> all *@lists.ubuntu.com mailing lists and is being worked on. From what
> I've been told it's not going to be a quick fix either but at least
> they are aware of it and working towards a solution.

This problem exist an every mailing list I have in my Gmail inbox. Its
not only ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

cheers Sven

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 13:21 +0200, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for bringing this up, it has been reported to the Canonical
> > staff running the mailing lists a couple of weeks ago. It is across
> > all *@lists.ubuntu.com mailing lists and is being worked on. From what
> > I've been told it's not going to be a quick fix either but at least
> > they are aware of it and working towards a solution.
>
> This problem exist an every mailing list I have in my Gmail inbox. Its
> not only ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

I have several gmail accounts, and have never seen that warning yet.
Using Evolution. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Nichlas Hummelsberger

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 20:19, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 13:21 +0200, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for bringing this up, it has been reported to the Canonical
> > > staff running the mailing lists a couple of weeks ago. It is across
> > > all *@lists.ubuntu.com mailing lists and is being worked on. From what
> > > I've been told it's not going to be a quick fix either but at least
> > > they are aware of it and working towards a solution.
> >
> > This problem exist an every mailing list I have in my Gmail inbox. Its
> > not only ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> I have several gmail accounts, and have never seen that warning yet.
> Using Evolution. Ric

It is only shown in the following conditions:

Mail is send to the list from a gmail account.

Mail is received from the list on a gmail account.

It seems like google can spot that the mail is originally from google,
but has been modified before being received on another google account.

Google *should* be able to handle these cases, as the mail is also
recognized by google as being sent from an email list.

But i guess they chose to spam us with warnings instead.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 20:27 +0200, Nichlas Hummelsberger wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 20:19, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > This problem exist an every mailing list I have in my Gmail inbox. Its
> > > not only ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > I have several gmail accounts, and have never seen that warning yet.
> > Using Evolution. Ric
> >

> It is only shown in the following conditions:
>
> Mail is send to the list from a gmail account.
>
> Mail is received from the list on a gmail account.
>
> It seems like google can spot that the mail is originally from google,
> but has been modified before being received on another google account.
>
> Google *should* be able to handle these cases, as the mail is also
> recognized by google as being sent from an email list.
>
> But i guess they chose to spam us with warnings instead.

Weird, I send from a gmail account and it comes back to my gmail
account, but I never see these warnings. Jus' wondering... perhaps
because our group is in my address book that it is not flagged for me?
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Dejan Ribič

[...]

Hi,

I see those warnings only if I open gmail through web interface(
https://gmail.com ) if i use any program TB, Evolution, ... I don't get
the warning.

Cheers,

Dejan

Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> All the mails coming from Ubuntu users mailing list (this one) are
> coming to my mail box with a warning from gmail.
> The warning is
>
> "This message may not have been sent by: user@gmail.com *Learn more
> Report phishing "

Those not using Gmail, FYI. If you click "Learn more", you would be led to:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=185812

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin