Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Default Upgrading linux-image packages beyond available linux-server version

Quoting Charles Bearden (Charles.F.Bearden@uth.tmc.edu):
> I have a 10.04 server which is running the 2.6.32.33.39 version of
> the linux-server package. This seems to be the highest candidate for
> my release:
>
> $ apt-cache policy linux-server
> linux-server:
> Installed: 2.6.32.33.39
> Candidate: 2.6.32.33.39
> Version table:
> *** 2.6.32.33.39 0
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
> 500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 2.6.32.21.22 0
> 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
>
> However, I also see kernels newer than that specified by the server
> package, e.g. linux-image-2.6.38-10-server, but with no
> corresponding linux-server package. Is there a reasonable way to use
> the newer kernel?

The kernel team supports backported kernels. do an 'apt-get search backport'
and you'll find things like

linux-image-server-lts-backport-natty

which you can install, and which are supported.

thanks,
-serge