Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM
"a.grandi@gmail.com"

Default What can I do for Ubuntu Server Team?

Hi,

my name is Andrea Grandi, I use Linux since 1996 and Ubuntu since its
first version. I've worked as software developer (and I'm
collaborating with Unity-2D team) and as system administrator. At the
moment I'm a student (I started university very late) and I have some
spare time to dedicate to opensource projects.

I'm currently managing am Ubuntu server that runs a wifi service
authenticator, so I use it every day.

I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to collaborate with this team.

p.s: if you need more information about me, you can find them on my
wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AndreaGrandi

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it

Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Ahmed Kamal

my name is Andrea Grandi, I use Linux since 1996 and Ubuntu since its
first version. I've worked as software developer (and I'm
collaborating with Unity-2D team) and as system administrator. At the
moment I'm a student (I started university very late) and I have some
spare time to dedicate to opensource projects.

I'm currently managing am Ubuntu server that runs a wifi service
authenticator, so I use it every day.

I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to collaborate with this team.

p.s: if you need more information about me, you can find them on my
wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AndreaGrandi

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your interest in contributing to Ubuntu server! It seems
there's a lot you can do, so it mostly depends on what you would
like to do. Here are a few pointers

- We're currently reviewing the ubuntu server guide in preparation
for Oneiric. It would be awesome to take ownership of a subchapter
and start reviewing it in the next 2 weeks. For more info, please
check this thread:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2011-August/005805.html

- A lot of work is also going into Ensemble, the Ubuntu server
orchestration tool. A lot of work is needed there to start covering
open-source applications with ensemble formulas. You could pick your
favorite app, and start hacking a formula around it. This is
something I can directly help you with. You can learn more about
Ensemble at:

https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
(we're all in #ubuntu-ensemble)

- Another contribution path, since you mentioned you had development
experience, is to simply pick up an ubuntu server bug, and to start
working on fixing it! Here is a good start:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server

You can ask questions in #ubuntu-server

Hope that was helpful. Enjoy and start crunching

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
"a.grandi@gmail.com"

Hi,

On 22 August 2011 14:40, Ahmed Kamal <kim0@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> - We're currently reviewing the ubuntu server guide in preparation for
> Oneiric. It would be awesome to take ownership of a subchapter and start
> reviewing it in the next 2 weeks. For more info, please check this thread:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2011-August/005805.html

I've already picked up a chapter to make pratice and understand how
the whole process works.
I'll give this task the priority since the doc freeze deadline is very close.

> - A lot of work is also going into Ensemble, the Ubuntu server orchestration
> tool. A lot of work is needed there to start covering open-source
> applications with ensemble formulas. You could pick your favorite app, and
> start hacking a formula around it. This is something I can directly help you
> with. You can learn more about Ensemble at: https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
> (we're all in #ubuntu-ensemble)

I didn't know what Ensemble was before reading this
If I correctly understand it's a tool to remote admin a server, right?
I could test it directly on my VPS that is running Ubuntu Server. What
do you think about?

> - Another contribution path, since you mentioned you had development
> experience, is to simply pick up an ubuntu server bug, and to start working
> on fixing it! Here is a good start:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server
> You can ask questions in #ubuntu-server

I'll give a look to that too, later...

regards.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Ahmed Kamal

[...]

The best description you can find, is probably what's on that page
You'll really understand it, once you write your first formula. The docs
have a couple of good tutorials as well. Right now, Ensemble works
really well on Amazon's ec2 (which offers a free micro tier that you can
play with). However, a lot of work is going into enabling us to use it
on a local machine (lxc containers) .. that is not quite ready however

Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from a.grandi@gmail.com's message of Mon Aug 22 06:57:21 -0700 2011:
> Hi,
>
> On 22 August 2011 14:40, Ahmed Kamal <kim0@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > - A lot of work is also going into Ensemble, the Ubuntu server orchestration
> > tool. A lot of work is needed there to start covering open-source
> > applications with ensemble formulas. You could pick your favorite app, and
> > start hacking a formula around it. This is something I can directly help you
> > with. You can learn more about Ensemble at: https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
> > (we're all in #ubuntu-ensemble)
>
> I didn't know what Ensemble was before reading this
> If I correctly understand it's a tool to remote admin a server, right?
> I could test it directly on my VPS that is running Ubuntu Server. What
> do you think about?

Almost, It is a tool to remote admin a service, which may be backed by
many "servers", or vms, or whatever else you can think of to run code
on and communicate over a network.