Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Stephen Young

Default Which mail server stack to use?

I have always in the past installed and configured my own mail
server with Postfix, Fetchmail, Procmail and Dovecot. I know that
for a while the Ubuntu server team have developed their own server
stack and so I decided to give it a go with my new 11.04
installation.

However, when I look on Synaptic I see that there are two mail
server stacks

Quote:

mail-stack-delivery

and

Quote:

dovecot-postfix

. Both are described as

Quote:

"mail server delivery
agent stack provided by the Ubuntu server team"

So, my question is what is the difference between the two stacks?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Scott Kitterman

Stephen Young <stephen.young@chello.at> wrote:

>I have always in the past installed and configured my own mail server
>with Postfix, Fetchmail, Procmail and Dovecot. I know that for a while
>the Ubuntu server team have developed their own server stack and so I
>decided to give it a go with my new 11.04 installation.
>
>However, when I look on Synaptic I see that there are two mail server
>stacks
>Quote:
>mail-stack-delivery
>
>and
>Quote:
>dovecot-postfix
>
>. Both are described as
>Quote:
>"mail server delivery agent stack provided by the Ubuntu server team"
>
>So, my question is what is the difference between the two stacks?

They are the same, we just renamed it. The old name will go away after the next LTS.

Scott K

Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

always in the past installed and configured my own mail server
with Postfix, Fetchmail, Procmail and Dovecot. I know that for a
while the Ubuntu server team have developed their own server stack
and so I decided to give it a go with my new 11.04 installation.

However, when I look on Synaptic I see that there are two mail
server stacks

Quote:

mail-stack-delivery

and

Quote:

dovecot-postfix

Note that this mail stacks uses dovecot's LDA delivery for MDA
instead of procmail, it is much better for server side filtering
becauses supports SIEVE.

Best regards.

. Both are described as

Quote:

"mail server delivery agent stack provided by the Ubuntu server
team"

So, my question is what is the difference between the two stacks?

This body part will be downloaded on demand.

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México