Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Vincenzo Ciaglia

Default Introducing myself ... for Ubuntu Server Team

Hi all,

I'm Vincenzo Ciaglia, a GNU/Linux System Administrator from Italy. I'm
25 years old and i use GNU/Linux since 2000. In the past i wrote for
6-years on Linux-Magazine Italy and many other magazines about system
administration, security and networking topics. I was the founder and
the main developer of Linux Netwosix, a GNU/Linux distro for
sysadmin-security jobs and i served as SELinux Policy Hacker on Engarde
Secure Linux for Guardian Digital, Inc. In 2004, or maybe 2005, i've
already attended an interview for an Ubuntu Server Developer position
but unfortunately discarded because "too much security oriented".

Actually i'm attending my BS in Computer Science and in the same time
working as Linux Sysadmin for a IT Consulting company.

In few words, i'd like to start working with you to improve Ubuntu
Server.

Last but not least i proudly use Ubuntu on server and desktop since
2005.

Looking forward to start the "Mentoring Process".

Have a nice day,

--
Vincenzo Ciaglia
https://launchpad.net/~vciaglia

Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Quoting Vincenzo Ciaglia (vincenzo@ciaglia.net):
> Hi all,
>
> I'm Vincenzo Ciaglia, a GNU/Linux System Administrator from Italy. I'm

Nice to meet you

> 25 years old and i use GNU/Linux since 2000. In the past i wrote for
> 6-years on Linux-Magazine Italy and many other magazines about system
> administration, security and networking topics. I was the founder and
> the main developer of Linux Netwosix, a GNU/Linux distro for
> sysadmin-security jobs and i served as SELinux Policy Hacker on Engarde
> Secure Linux for Guardian Digital, Inc. In 2004, or maybe 2005, i've

Cool. In my spare time I've been wanting to work toward getting the
selinux testsuite running in an unmodified ubuntu server, and also
noticed some policy shortcomings (i.e. sshd_t). Maybe we can spend some
time on that together. Not looking to supplant apparmor, but options
are good.

> already attended an interview for an Ubuntu Server Developer position
> but unfortunately discarded because "too much security oriented".
>
> Actually i'm attending my BS in Computer Science and in the same time
> working as Linux Sysadmin for a IT Consulting company.
>
> In few words, i'd like to start working with you to improve Ubuntu
> Server.

Awesome. Is there a particular set of applications you're interested
in?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Ahmed Kamal

[...]

Hi Vincenzo, it seems you have some head start with selinux. However
in case you're interested to look something else, I'd recommend
checking out Ensemble

http://ensemble.ubuntu.com/

A lot of work is going into refining Ensemble, and I find it
extremely interesting. I just finished a blog post, which you may
find interesting

http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/07/ubuntu-takes-ufos-to-the-cloud/

There's a lot of room for writing tons of Ensemble variables, join
in #ubuntu-ensemble and everyone in there will be happy to get you
kickstarted

Regards

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Vincenzo Ciaglia

Il giorno ven, 29/07/2011 alle 09.58 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn ha scritto:

> Nice to meet you

Nice to meet you too.

> Cool. In my spare time I've been wanting to work toward getting the
> selinux testsuite running in an unmodified ubuntu server, and also
> noticed some policy shortcomings (i.e. sshd_t). Maybe we can spend some
> time on that together. Not looking to supplant apparmor, but options
> are good.

Sure. Even if i don't work on Selinux from several months - and I feel a
little rusty - this could be an interesting opportunity to restart
reading docs and writing policies

> Awesome. Is there a particular set of applications you're interested
> in?

I'm surely interested in key packages like OpenSSH, Apache, OpenVPN,
Rsyslog, bind and dhcp. However i'm ready to work on support-less or new
packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Vincenzo Ciaglia
:~# 1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Vincenzo Ciaglia

Il giorno ven, 29/07/2011 alle 17.14 +0200, Ahmed Kamal ha scritto:

> Hi Vincenzo, it seems you have some head start with selinux. However
> in case you're interested to look something else, I'd recommend
> checking out Ensemble http://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
> A lot of work is going into refining Ensemble, and I find it extremely
> interesting. I just finished a blog post, which you may find
> interesting
> http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/07/ubuntu-takes-ufos-to-the-cloud/
> There's a lot of room for writing tons of Ensemble variables, join in
> #ubuntu-ensemble and everyone in there will be happy to get you
> kickstarted

Nice to meet you Ahmed. Ensemble seems really interesting just like the
concept of cloud-computing. I'll surely ready more about and give you my
feedback on this tech-preview asap.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
"Serge E. Hallyn"

Quoting Vincenzo Ciaglia (vincenzo@ciaglia.net):
> Il giorno ven, 29/07/2011 alle 09.58 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn ha scritto:
>
> > Nice to meet you
>
> Nice to meet you too.
>
> > Cool. In my spare time I've been wanting to work toward getting the
> > selinux testsuite running in an unmodified ubuntu server, and also
> > noticed some policy shortcomings (i.e. sshd_t). Maybe we can spend some
> > time on that together. Not looking to supplant apparmor, but options
> > are good.
>
> Sure. Even if i don't work on Selinux from several months - and I feel a
> little rusty - this could be an interesting opportunity to restart
> reading docs and writing policies
>
> > Awesome. Is there a particular set of applications you're interested
> > in?
>
> I'm surely interested in key packages like OpenSSH, Apache, OpenVPN,
> Rsyslog, bind and dhcp. However i'm ready to work on support-less or new
> packages.

As far as support work for key packages goes, if you look at the top of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase it has some links to
searches for active server related bugs. Very useful for getting started.
One way to get started would be go look at the 'high priority bugs' link
and pick say an apache bug. If you have any questions on packaging etc
freenode#ubuntu-devel and freenode#ubuntu-server are good places to ask,
the former for more generic packaging questions. You can also drop by
there when you have a solution you want sponsored (meaning, a package
fixing the bug which you feel is ready to go into the archive).

-serge

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Vincenzo Ciaglia

Il giorno ven, 29/07/2011 alle 10.38 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn ha scritto:

> As far as support work for key packages goes, if you look at the top of
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase it has some links to
> searches for active server related bugs. Very useful for getting started.
> One way to get started would be go look at the 'high priority bugs' link
> and pick say an apache bug. If you have any questions on packaging etc
> freenode#ubuntu-devel and freenode#ubuntu-server are good places to ask,
> the former for more generic packaging questions. You can also drop by
> there when you have a solution you want sponsored (meaning, a package
> fixing the bug which you feel is ready to go into the archive).

Cool. Thank you!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Vincenzo Ciaglia

Il giorno ven, 29/07/2011 alle 17.14 +0200, Ahmed Kamal ha scritto:

> Hi Vincenzo, it seems you have some head start with selinux. However
> in case you're interested to look something else, I'd recommend
> checking out Ensemble http://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
> A lot of work is going into refining Ensemble, and I find it extremely
> interesting. I just finished a blog post, which you may find
> interesting
> http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/07/ubuntu-takes-ufos-to-the-cloud/
> There's a lot of room for writing tons of Ensemble variables, join in
> #ubuntu-ensemble and everyone in there will be happy to get you
> kickstarted

Hi Kamal, i've read something about ensemble and learned a little bit
about it. It's great! I'll be more than proud to be part of the team.
Let me know how to kickstart.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Ahmed Kamal

Hi Vincenzo, it seems you have some head start with selinux. However
in case you're interested to look something else, I'd recommend
checking out Ensemble http://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
A lot of work is going into refining Ensemble, and I find it extremely
interesting. I just finished a blog post, which you may find
interesting
http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/07/ubuntu-takes-ufos-to-the-cloud/
There's a lot of room for writing tons of Ensemble variables, join in
#ubuntu-ensemble and everyone in there will be happy to get you
kickstarted

Hi Kamal, i've read something about ensemble and learned a little bit
about it. It's great! I'll be more than proud to be part of the team.
Let me know how to kickstart.

Regards,

Welcome aboard Vincenzo I think the best way to get started, is
to start writing formulas for Ensemble. You can pick any one from:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/principia/+bugs?field.tag=bitesize

assign the bug to yourself if it's not already assigned, and start
hacking.

To understand a bit more about Ensemble, I think you will need to
read at least those two tutorials from documentation

https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/docs/user-tutorial.html

https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/docs/write-formula.html

Also, you may want to read the code for working formulas. Try to
pick a simple one, here is an example joomla formula branch

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~daker/principia/oneiric/joomla/trunk/files/head:/hooks/

So start digging in, and join us in #ubuntu-ensemble, ping me (kim0)
for any questions .. Enjoy!