Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Nathan zwissler

Default Print Server problems

So I've been trying to set myself up a home server. I got the file server part working, that part was easy. I am not trying to get the print function to work and I cannot get it to work at all. I have samba installed, I have CUPS installed. I've been trying suggestions from ubuntu documentation but nothing seems to be working. I don't think that my server even knows my printer is plugged into it and I'm not sure how to fix that. Any ideas?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
John Pugh

On 07/27/2011 02:25 AM, Nathan zwissler wrote:
> So I've been trying to set myself up a home server. I got the file
> server part working, that part was easy. I am not trying to get the
> print function to work and I cannot get it to work at all. I have samba
> installed, I have CUPS installed. I've been trying suggestions from
> ubuntu documentation but nothing seems to be working. I don't think that
> my server even knows my printer is plugged into it and I'm not sure how
> to fix that. Any ideas?

Well...that's definitely the first step. Get the server to see the
printer! In Ubuntu 10.10 in order for my server to see a USB printer I
had to blacklist the uss720 module since there was some sort of conflict
that was blocking it.

If the server is not seeing your printer, try looking at dmesg or other
logs to see if you can find a error message. It *should* just work, but
sometimes it doesn't.

If you continue to struggle, give more details...Ubuntu version, printer
model, connection type, etc and I'm sure someone can help!