Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Robbie Williamson

Default Proposal for weekly Ensemble releases into Oneiric

Hi all,

Given the rapid pace of development with ensemble, and the needs of
people trying to build solutions with it in Oneiric, I would like to
propose that we implement a weekly release schedule for ensemble, and
the related packages in the ensemble PPA, for Ubuntu. This approach
really helped with Unity integration in Desktop, which was (and still is
in some ways) a rapidly advancing project. I'm not familiar with the
details of the ensemble daily build PPA, but "in theory", I imagine it
would simply be syncing from it on a weekly cadence. I think Monday, or
possibly Tuesday, is the best day of the week, so as not to collide with
any releases or freezes. Thoughts? Can someone take this effort on?

-Robbie

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie@ubuntu.com>
robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
-Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me

Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from Robbie Williamson's message of Mon Jul 11 16:26:36 -0700 2011:
> Hi all,
>
> Given the rapid pace of development with ensemble, and the needs of
> people trying to build solutions with it in Oneiric, I would like to
> propose that we implement a weekly release schedule for ensemble, and
> the related packages in the ensemble PPA, for Ubuntu. This approach
> really helped with Unity integration in Desktop, which was (and still is
> in some ways) a rapidly advancing project. I'm not familiar with the
> details of the ensemble daily build PPA, but "in theory", I imagine it
> would simply be syncing from it on a weekly cadence. I think Monday, or
> possibly Tuesday, is the best day of the week, so as not to collide with
> any releases or freezes. Thoughts? Can someone take this effort on?

Good plan.

Unless anybody has any red flag on this, I'll go ahead and do this every
Tuesday. I'm also going to start linking specific bugs to the Ubuntu
package that need to get fixed in 11.10, and will encourage others to
do so. If there are Critical open bugs in upstream, I will delay the
weekly release until they are closed.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Clint Byrum <clint@fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Robbie Williamson's message of Mon Jul 11 16:26:36 -0700 2011:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Given the rapid pace of development with ensemble, and the needs of
>> people trying to build solutions with it in Oneiric, I would like to
>> propose that we implement a weekly release schedule for ensemble, and
>> the related packages in the ensemble PPA, for Ubuntu. *This approach
>> really helped with Unity integration in Desktop, which was (and still is
>> in some ways) a rapidly advancing project. *I'm not familiar with the
>> details of the ensemble daily build PPA, but "in theory", I imagine it
>> would simply be syncing from it on a weekly cadence. *I think Monday, or
>> possibly Tuesday, is the best day of the week, so as not to collide with
>> any releases or freezes. *Thoughts? *Can someone take this effort on?
>
> Good plan.
>
> Unless anybody has any red flag on this, I'll go ahead and do this every
> Tuesday. *I'm also going to start linking specific bugs to the Ubuntu
> package that need to get fixed in 11.10, and will encourage others to
> do so. If there are Critical open bugs in upstream, I will delay the
> weekly release until they are closed.

Excellent. +1 from the SI Team. We'll make sure our blocking bugs are
tagged/targeted appropriately.

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Manager, Systems Integration
Corporate Services
Canonical, LTD

Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Gustavo Niemeyer

> Unless anybody has any red flag on this, I'll go ahead and do this every
> Tuesday. *I'm also going to start linking specific bugs to the Ubuntu
> package that need to get fixed in 11.10, and will encourage others to
> do so. If there are Critical open bugs in upstream, I will delay the
> weekly release until they are closed.

Sounds great, thanks Clint.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer