Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Neal McBurnett

Default Ubuntu Server FAQ? forum input

Michael, thanks for helping with the server team and the forums. Your
experience should come in handy :-)

I'd suggest collecting the forum input on the wiki and pointing folks
at the wiki for faqs. Often forum input ends up in a world of its own
and gets out of date faster than the wikis, so links back to where the
server documenters and developers are most active is very helpful.

I brought up the idea of having an Ubuntu Server FAQ for users and
sysadmins at the IRC meeting today, and thought I'd throw out some
more ideas here while they're fresh.

Frequent Questions about Ubuntu Server, for system administrators and
users.

First, I think the notion of a FAQ is familiar which is why I thought
it might be useful. It also tends to get folks thinking in the terms
that users and sysadmins are likely to use in google searches, which
helps get google hits.

At the same time, of course, we already have two wikis with related
material, plus the server guide, so it may be too much to maintain.

Perhaps just a small page with pointers to the other bits of
documentation would be best.

Related pages:

Ahh - this looks very relevant :-O It was buried in the google search
I did. Perhaps if more other pages pointed to it and it were brought
up-to-date that would help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq

Also, more general questions:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions

Server Topics

Differences between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu
Kernel
Documentation
tasksel
GUI-based server admin
not webmin
ebox (soon)
LTSP(?)

List of relevant HowTo's

LAMP configuration
email config
[other tasksels]
virtualization

Another form of ubuntu documentation that often is generated as a
result of user questions is ubotu factoids:

http://bots.ubuntulinux.nl/factoids.cgi

They might be minded for topics, wording etc.

mail server
mua, mta, mda
imap, pop
proxy

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 AM
"Michael Behrens"

I'd suggest collecting the forum input on the wiki and pointing folks
at the wiki for faqs. *Often forum input ends up in a world of its own
and gets out of date faster than the wikis, so links back to where the

server documenters and developers are most active is very helpful.

I agree, keeping content fresh is difficult given how rapidly things change,
especially on the forums.

Generally when a solution to a problem is found on the forums, courteous

posters mark it as [SOLVED] in the title.* That eases searching within a
forum.* It also gives us a way to point users to searching a list of known
solutions, rather than a general "oh, just gogle for it" or something - this

can be specific to the server forum.

I brought up the idea of having an Ubuntu Server FAQ for users and

sysadmins at the IRC meeting today, and thought I'd throw out some
more ideas here while they're fresh.

*Frequent Questions about Ubuntu Server, for system administrators and
users.

First, I think the notion of a FAQ is familiar which is why I thought

it might be useful. *It also tends to get folks thinking in the terms
that users and sysadmins are likely to use in google searches, which
helps get google hits.

At the same time, of course, we already have two wikis with related

material, plus the server guide, so it may be too much to maintain.

Maintenance will always be an issue, especially as releases come and go.* A
general FAQ which points to specific release based documentation (Server Guide)

as well as the community sources (help.ubuntu.com, wiki.ubuntu.com)
I think would be the best way to go forward.* That being said, the FAQ should also

contain generalized useful information (like using apt-get to install server software
and other admin level actions), the information contained in it should be unlikely to
change regardless of release (or significantly change).

*Ahh - this looks very relevant :-O It was buried in the google search
*I did. *Perhaps if more other pages pointed to it and it were brought

*up-to-date that would help.

*https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq

This would be a good starting point, there is no need to recreate the

wheel,* just upgrade it to steel belted.
*
Server Topics

*Differences between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu

*Kernel
*Documentation
*tasksel
*GUI-based server admin
*not webmin
*ebox (soon)
*LTSP(?)

I think all of those are good topics to have, I would add

CLI based server admin

*- manually starting / stopping services
*- using apt-get to install/remove XYZ server package
*- etc.
Discovering Hardware Information
*- using lspci
*- using lshw
Networking solutions
*- basic routing

*- advanced routing
*- QoS

Possibly vendor specific information (Dell Poweredge, HP DL series, etc)

*List of relevant HowTo's

..snip..

Most of these are created/maintained on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers

I think a pointer there and a description of the types of information would suffice.

*....

Another form of ubuntu documentation that often is generated as a

result of user questions is ubotu factoids:

*http://bots.ubuntulinux.nl/factoids.cgi

They might be minded for topics, wording etc.

..snip..

Agreed, I will speak to you privately about how I can help you
with the factoid stuff, as an output of forum support.
*

Thanks,

Michael
/ faulkes-